Windows 11 crashes during update to latest dev build

Copper Contributor

Windows crashes after it shuts down during the update to the latest dev build 22478.1000 (rs_prerelease) and then reverts the update. Tried several times and it happens all the time, and no dump file is created. I also cannot leave the insider program, the option is greyed out. Thanks for any help.

Event log: 

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0xC1900101: Windows 11 Insider Preview 22478.1000 (rs_prerelease).

Current OS version: 

Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview, Version Dev
OS build 22471.1000

Hardware specs:

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor 3.70 GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master
Installed RAM 64.0 GB
GPU Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090

30 Replies

im having the same issue it downloads and installs the update then says a restart is required, i restart it starts to do the update then reboots again and says "reverting changes made to your computer"

in the log file i have the following:

"Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0xC1900101: Windows 11 Insider Preview 22478.1000 (rs_prerelease)."

From looking up this error code ( error 0xC1900101 ) its saying this error could be caused by your antivirus software and to disable it and try to do the update again

seems this is the same error that you are getting.

my system specs are below:

Current OS version:
Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview, Version Dev
OS build 22471.1000

Hardware specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 4.3ghz
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus max
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070 8gb
RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3200 (2x 16gb sticks)

Spoiler

@AvidGamer 

Same here

Ryzen 3900x with X570 motherboard and gtx1070.

Update seems borked.

@pablo_max3045 i tried to dsable the antivures, infact i removed it totally and the update still failed, i also tried the methods listed below:

1. Make sure that your device has enough space. Your device requires at least 16 GB of free space to upgrade a 32-bit OS, or 20 GB for a 64-bit OS. For more info, see Free up drive space in Windows.

2. Run Windows Update a few times. Download and install any available updates in Windows Update, including software updates, hardware updates, and some third-party drivers. Use the Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix Windows Update errors.

im wondering whether a feedback report should be sent in about this in the feedback hub?

1. Check third-party drivers and download any updates. You can find third-party drivers and installation instructions for any hardware you’ve added to your device on the manufacturer’s website.

2. Unplug extra hardware. Remove all external storage devices and drives, docks, and other hardware you might have plugged into your device that isn’t needed for basic functionality.

3. Check Device Manager for errors. Select the Start  button, then in the search box on the taskbar, type device manager. Choose Device Manager from the results. In the window that pops up, look for any device with a yellow exclamation mark beside it (you may have to select each category to switch to the list of devices). Press and hold (or right-click) the device name and select either Update Driver Software or Uninstall to correct the errors.

4. Remove third-party security software. Make sure you know how to reinstall your programs and that any necessary product keys are on hand. Windows Defender will help protect your device in the meantime.

5. Repair hard-drive errors. Select the Start  button, then in the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt. Choose Command Prompt from the list of results. In the window that pops up, type chkdsk/f C: and press the Enter key. Repairs automatically start on your hard drive, and you’ll be asked to restart your device.

Note: You must have administrator permissions on your device to do this.

6. Do a clean restart into Windows. Learn how.

7. Restore and repair system files. Select the Start  button, then in the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt. Choose Command Prompt from the list of results. In the window that pops up, type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press the Enter key. (Learn to repair a Windows image

8. Run sfc /scannow in an elevated comand prompt 

9. apparently this error can also be caused by extra ram i tried removing a single ram module leaving one in 

all of the above methods failed and the update still failed to go through, my pc rebooted 4 times and on the 5th time it said "undoing changes made to your system"

im wondering whether a bug report should be sent in about this in the feedback hub?

Windows 11 Insider Preview 22478.1000
error 0xC1900101
Ryzen 7 3800X
MSI B450 Gaming Plus max
GeForce RTX 3060
Crucial 32 gb, ddr4-4000
I'm having the same issue, and am starting to think that it might be a conflict with Ryzen based processors, since everyone else on this thread so far has Ryzen as well...

Hardware Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming x570-Plus (Wifi)
RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3600 DDR4 16x2
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080

Same here.

Pc specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor

32 gb corsair ram

500 gb nvme 2

asus rtx 3080 tuf gaming

asus prime x570 mobo

I managed to install the latest 22478.1001 insider preview, but only by doing a clean install. But not too long after that, i was greeted by the same green screens and reboots, up to the point where 22478.1001 didnt even start anymore. I got a Ryzen CPU as well. Ryzen 3600 here. Some further AMD CPU optimizing that started with 22471 went horribly wrong?

I have submitted a feedback report on the feedback hub regarding this issue under the name "Windows 11 Error 0xC1900101"

please kindly go on there if you can and upvote it so it brings this to Microsoft's attention and hopefully they can get a fix out asap for this

it seems so, happening here too

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI
RAM: 4x8 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
GPU: NVIDIA ASUS GeForce RTX 2060
Same issue:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600x

I just tried again after runing the "windows update troubleshooter" which found problems it stated that it had fixed

This time i got a Green Screen Of Death, unfortunatly it was too quick for me to beable to screenshot or take a photo of it

i am getting trhe belowe error in the event viewer log file:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0xC1900101: Windows 10 Insider Preview 10.0.22478.1012 (rs_prerelease).

Same here - Ryzen 7 3700x on Gigabyte B450 Gaming X. 

For now Windows 11 Insider Preview 22478.1012

all the same

error 0xC1900101

UPDATE:

i just tried the update and it has finally gone through im now on Windows 11 Home Insider Preview 22478.1012

seems liek this issue has been fixed :D
Anyone can confirm this with Windows 11 pro?
Sadly I'm on windows 11 Home so am unable to confirm for the pro version

I guess the only way you will find out is try to perform the update in Windows Update and see if it Succeeds or fails then let us know
I'm downloading again but it should be fixed now because microsoft updated the build final number.

yes so it seems they have releasesd a new version in order to fix the update bug

hopefully it now works for you and everyone else experiencing this bug and it is resolved

do give us feedback if the update worked for you so others know to update :D

I can confirm the issue is resolved with the latest build 22478.1012 :)