Windows 11 broke AMD RX580 DisplayPort (after 3 attempted installs)

Copper Contributor

I've just gone through 3 attempts at Windows 11 Beta, the 3rd one seem to do something nasty.

First attempt, saw the Windows 11 Beta in Windows Update. Installed it. My primary drive has been cloned from PC to PC for many years. It has Bitlocker encryption without TPM, and uses a password at boot. It appears the upgrade process un-encrypted it. After the upgrade I couldn't boot, just got:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_

Couldn't repair it, reinstalled Windows 10. Then Windows update said my PC didn't support Windows 11. Huh....So ok I guess I'm stuck on Windows 10. Went to re-encrypt with bitlocker and it tells me it needs UEFI. Odd? Rebooted into the BIOS setup, oh right, my BIOS boot mode supports both Legacy and UEFI. Change it to UEFI only, Windows 10 won't boot...Reinstall Windows 10. Upgrade to Windows 11. Start menu in the middle of the taskbar, ok all good.

Let it sit for a while to auto-install drivers. I have an AMD RX580 graphics card on a Ryzen 2600 CPU. dual screens, one HDMI, one DisplayPort. Come back, screens are black. HDMI screen is black, DisplayPort screen turns on, turns off, turns on, turns off....etc

Reboot using PC reset button, still black screens with DisplayPort screen toggling on an off. hold down F11 on boot, get same issue.

Reinstall Windows 10...still have the same issue?? Doh! Unplug DisplayPort screen, HDMI screen now displays login. Phew. Log in, plug in DisplayPort screen, PC locks up. Unplug screen, PC no longer locked up. Install lastest drivers, plug in DisplayPort screen, still have same problem. Swap the HDMI and DisplayPort monitors over, problem fixed. So what happened here?

23 Replies
Firstly, report your installation experience through the Feedback Hub. The expected result would be an smooth upgrade which wasn't your case, so sending the report would help the Windows team to have data to investigate and resolve this problem and prevent it in the future.
In regards to your graphic driver, try uninstall it and restart your PC and run Windows Update and install all updates and see if the driver will be installed through the Windows Update?

@Reza_Ameri I'm back on Windows 10, so don't have the Windows 11 feedback hub. I'll try again next weekend and send feedback then, don't have time for these things during the week. I wasn't expecting problems, otherwise I would have put another drive in my PC just for testing Windows 11. I'm guessing the graphics card somehow got some bad settings for the screen during a driver install, and then wouldn't let go of those settings, but I was looking here for someone to confirm this could happen.

Windows 11 is still under testing and you may try later and make sure report this issue through the Feedback Hub app so the Windows team would be able to investigate.
You may check with the AMD support too.
They would be able to check and see if they are able to reproduce the problem.
Same problem here, started with the last update, was able to plug in a second display via hdmi and it would come back but after updating to the latest AMD drivers DisplayPort doesn’t work, it came back after being off for the night but it went into sleep mode while I was afk. When I came back it wouldn’t work again. Now using HDMI for the time being.
From what you explained this is a bug and make sure report it using the Feedback Hub app.
You may report this issue to AMD support too.
https://www.amd.com/en/support

Already did, just wanted to let you know you’re not alone since I couldn’t really find anything else on the issue. Went through the trouble of checking ports, cables, monitors and systems before giving into the idea it was the updates I don’t know where the problem is for you on win 10 though cause my card works fine when swapping systems. Oh Sorry I didn’t even realize I replied to the wrong person ...

Thank you for sharing your concern, like I said earlier Windows 11 is still under testing and such issues are expected and normally you have to report and wait for an fix. There are workaround like uninstalling the current driver and use Windows Default graphic card drivers but in general you need to wait for the official fix.

@Reza_Ameri 

Hey, I have a similar problem.
On my computer, the signal is in the BIOS and during the installation of the system.
When the system pulls drivers - DisplayPort stops giving a signal.

I've tried everything - even installing Windows 10 doesn't solve the problem - something is wrong with system build or I don't know what.

Can you help?
More details about my case: https://answers.microsoft.com/pl-pl/windows/forum/windows_11-wintop_display/displayport-przestał-dzi...

Since you already posted your question on the Microsoft Answers forum, I believe someone will answer your question there and you may follow up conversation there.
Did you observe this issue in Windows 11?
Did you face the similar issue in the Windows 10?
Nobody answers in the Microsoft Answer forum.

I contacted Microsoft support and for 7 hours I was ignored and prompted to reinstall the system - which I did, but it didn't help.

I have been using two monitors for a long time. The DisplayPort problem appeared two or three weeks after installing Windows 11 (everything worked from the beginning).

I tried a clean install of Windows 10, but the problem also occurs (no signal appears on the login screen). Everything works during installation, initial setup and in the BIOS.
I just checked the Microsoft Answers forum and it shows there is a conversation is going on.
There might be a delay in reply and for the urgent issue, we advise you to contact Microsoft Support.
Have you tried contacting the AMD support?
I also should add you may use the Feedback Hub in the Windows 10 or Windows 11 to send feedback for Windows 11 too. You don't have to upgrade to Windows 11 to send a feedback regarding to Windows 11.

@Reza_Ameri 

Talking on microsoft answer does not help.
3 messages out of 4 are mine, and the only message I received was the one about replacing the adapter (which works everywhere, and which I mentioned anyway, which I wrote about at the beginning).

The problem is urgent and I have already contacted microsoft technical support.
It took 7 hours and nothing to do with it.
"We are unable to help."
I used the Feedback Hub because the problem started in Windows 11 (I came back after a failed attempt with Win 10).

The problem has been reported to AMD, however there is no contact.

Once again, I would like to emphasize - the hardware from AMD is working properly.
The problem is with Windows (everything works under Linux).

There is a problem in Windows and I urgently need a solution to it.

First and foremost, report your establishment experience through the Feedback Hub. The normal outcome would be a smooth overhaul which wasn't your case, so sending the report would help the Windows group to have information to research and resolve this issue and forestall it later on.

With respect to your realistic driver, attempt uninstall it and restart your PC and run Windows Update and introduce all updates and check whether the driver will be introduced through the Windows Update?

@jihem43289 

I'm going to go crazy.
For 10 times I explain and say the same.

I reported the problem to the feedback center in Windows 11.
I also reported the problem on the microsoft website via chat.
I waited 7 hours in this chat with four microsoft employees and performed the activities that were required of me.

I removed the drivers and installed 7 different versions, from the oldest available to the newest - with no results. I reinstalled the system - to no avail.
The hardware is functional - everything works under Linux, everything works in the BIOS, everything works when installing Windows.
The No Signal problem begins when Windows initiates its startup.

Windows 10 and Windows 11 basic drivers pull themselves from the network - then everything crashes.

Removing them does not help, because they download automatically after a few seconds. I am fed up with writing essays for everyone and everywhere.

Microsoft screwed something up, so I can't work normally and I have to look for a solution to the problem and ask others for help.

What the hell is this. I bought a system and it is supposed to work fully.

Are you able to boot into the BIOS?
When you boot up your system, are you seeing the manufacturer logo?
How about if you uninstall the Graphic card driver?
You really want to upset me.
I have described everything above and I repeat it again.

Normally I can enter the BIOS and change the settings on both monitors (the image is duplicated).
I can see the motherboard manufacturer's logo when it comes to loading windows, the image is only on the screen connected via HDMI ("No Signal" appears on DisplayPort).

I removed and installed the drivers about 7 times.
Everything works under Linux.
I have described everything above.

This is not the hardware fault.
During the installation of Windows, there is still an image on two monitors - on DisplayPort it disappears at the very end of the installation when it enters the data into the Microsoft account.

@PiotrHWS 

Hello

Please analyze if the Defender firewall does not block the access of the application ( add allowed applications ) of course this is just an idea - write what you think?

Thanks.

I checked.
Nothing is blocking access.
I, if I were you, would contact the manufacturer of the AMD RX580 - in fact, they should analyze it and help fix it for the benefit of customers .
The priority now is full integration with Windows11 , and manufacturers must ensure compatibility , for me it is obvious - it is their duty
Best regards