SOLVED

Win11 taskbar only at the bottom of the screen - it needs to be changed!

52 Replies

Urgently need to be able to ungroup items in the taskbar please! Current version is very frustrating not user friendly and does not allow for productivity. Fix this please!

My sister raised the same, unless I explained the design and how you can be productive with grouping enabled.

Ultimately there's Windows key + Tab
And PowerToys Window walker
EXACTLY! I'm an avid Microsoft supporter because I can customize so much, and the loss of taskbar customization is incredibly saddening. I am so used to working with the taskbar placed vertically to the right of my screen that it is so jarring using the new Win11 and not being able to do that anymore. Please please bring it back!
I have always had the taskbar on the left of my screen. Now that I've bought a Surface tablet with Windows 11 it's frustrating that the taskbar can only be positioned at the bottom of the screen. Considering I have stubby fingers, the icons in the task bar are very hard to hit as the Surface keyboard gets in the way. Please bring back the ability for users to select the position of the task bar to best suit their individual working styles and preferences.

Hi @tjgarland 

Unfortunately, in the Insider program there are no ideas to restore the ability to move the taskbar as in Windows10.

minor improvements are being tested. 

Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25158 | Windows Insider Blog

Andrzej1_0-1663277305092.png

@A1-A1 is there anyplace where you can make that request to have the task bar positioned at the location of your choice (ie bottom, left, right or top)?

Needs to be positionable on the sides, please and thank you.

So much better use of screen real estate. I stayed on windows 10 as long as I could because it has this very basic feature. Updated PC needed win11. So so so sad and frustrated now.
MICROSOFT PLEASE UNGROUP THE TASKBAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS ONE OF THE ONLY THINGS THAT MADE WINDOWS A PRODUCTIVE MACHINE. BUT, NOW IT JUST FEELS LIKE APPLE SYSTEM.

@designer8 it feels like you forgot your caps lock, did you?

I agree, not being able to move the taskbar to the left side ( I keep it there in Windows 10) makes it very difficult to see the whole screen on a 15" laptop. Using full screen is not always practical. I hope that Microsoft in all of its wisdom changes the ability to move the taskbar around.
the ability to move the taskbar is not a single switch.

They have redesigned the taskbar technically, albeit it is still tied with explorer.exe, quite unfortunately, I am sure they will get rid of these old shell stuff.