SOLVED

Why is windows 11 update stuck at 0% please help.

Copper Contributor

I have a laptop that id like to  upgrade to windows 11 via windows insider but its stuck on 0%

12 Replies
Try to download an ISO and perform a clean installation, this should works.
best response confirmed by MBA1302 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

He might not have to do a clean install. Instead just download the update through the ISO. Or at least the last Windows 11 Insider Program ISO put out by Microsoft and upgrade from their via Windows Update. Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso

Hi
Try pausing all updates for 7 days , and the next day restart the update download - sometimes it helps , write if it works?
Thank you it worked

Excellent advice! @A1 

Actually had to do it twice- and have a little patience! I should have gone with my instincts and tried that first, but I feel the need to compliment someone that's smarter than me! :)

I know this is an old issue, but I'm having the same problem.  Is there some magic behind waiting a day after pausing updates (vs. pausing and then unpausing after a few minutes)?  I've been fighting this issue for a few days now and tried all the non-reinstall-windows options (renaming SoftwareDistribution folder, catroot, restarting services, using the troubleshooter, etc.)

Hi @kmslogic 

This is a solution, update in place for Insidet participants:

Using ISOs - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Learn

To ensure the update for the stable version of Windows11 it is safest to download the Windows11 Installation Assistant ( 22H2 )

from the official Microsoft website, I will add the link below:

Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com)

Hi, @A1 I did that two days ago (downloaded iso of newest win11 update, extracted it to a folder and manually installed it) and that did correct the update issue for about a day and then they started all hanging at 0% again...

@kmslogic 

But you are writing about a stable version of Windows?

Do you have optional diagnostic data forwarding to Microsoft turned on?

check yet if you do not have limited download of updates in the background, or in the foreground, set it to 100%

@kmslogic Do not use the assistant, use the media creator (or better, the ISO file) and install it from there. If you download the ISO file you only need to double click it for it to be mounted as a disk, then open that disk and run the setup.exe and upgrade it from there. If it keeps failing best to do a clean install. From the ISO choose the option not to keep anything and perform a clean install

I did not need to wait a day. I paused installs "for 7 days", then rebooted the machine, then re-enabled installs, and immediately it was downloading Windows 11. I imagine it sticks at 0% if there is something else pending that needs to complete with a reboot.

i used the link to download the windows 11 n now it stuck on 25% in installing, what should i do?

@Anthony 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MBA1302 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

He might not have to do a clean install. Instead just download the update through the ISO. Or at least the last Windows 11 Insider Program ISO put out by Microsoft and upgrade from their via Windows Update. Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso

View solution in original post