SOLVED

VPN fix for Insider's build

Brass Contributor

The security update that broke the Windows 11 VPN service has not been updated in the latest Insider's build (had to roll it back to get VPN to work again). I tried installing KB5010795 and as I suspected it wouldn't install so I had to pause updates for the time being.

Can we confirm that this will be fixed in the next build?

30 Replies
Hey, @Deleted . That's the update I tried to install. I'm on build 22526.1000 and I get the message "The update is not applicable to your computer". There might be a way to force but it would be better if a fix was released for the next dev build, preferably before the pause comes off the updates (couldn't pause longer than a week).

@StephenFeltmate 

Flight Hub - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Docs

You can also download ISO 22533  and update in place

Okay, I will check it out and report back.
VPN is still broken on this one. Well, I guess we'll just have to see what next week brings.

@StephenFeltmate I'm using W11 insider dev 22538.1010 and having the same VPN connection problem, Can't install KB5010795 or KB5008353. Any solution?

If possibile, revert to Build 22526.1000. It's missing some security updates but VPN works on this version.
I can confirm that VPN is still broken in build 22543.1000
Last week we can pause updates as well. Really puzzling why this hasn't been fixed yet on the Dev channel yet.
Is there a way to leave the program, i have tried the normal way ? but i am still stuck on this window "insider" 11 version.
I believe you would have to install using the source from the media creation tool for Windows 11: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows11. I think if you opt-in to Windows Insider after installing with the normal version of Windows 11, you can opt-out the normal way. In my case (and this may be the same for you as well), if you downloaded the pre-release version and then updated then you will have to reinstall.

There may be a fix coming this week as well so might be worth while to wait until the end of the week to see if this gets fixed. I'm thinking this is simply not a priority and if that is the case, I will have to drop out as well.

@RSalisbury Hi

Using ISOs - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Docs

A clean installation of Windows10, or windows11 is currently the only solution.

But remember that everything will be deleted (make copies)

Good luck 

@StephenFeltmate 

Of course, you can downgrade the channel to Beta, but also only by downloading the ISO (beta) and performing a clean installation of Windows Beta.

If Dev. it won't work for you.

Using ISOs - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Docs

Now Feb 4, still broken, no update, and no real way to get out of it. Not a great way to leave insiders hanging. 

I agree. Actually, reinstalled and am now on 220000.438 (regular 21H2). I do get that the focus is on cloud right now and so this kind of thing is not a priority but at the same time it seems like it wasn't that complicated of a fix and easily could have been added to the last couple of releases. In any case, I needed VPN and now I have it and I have learned something valuable about using production computers on the Windows Insider Program (although, that is the best way to test things out).

@fractaldesign Same here. VPN still broken in build 22543.1000

@RolandEhle 

Still broken on 14th Feb, build 22543.rs_prerelease.220122-2315.

Will wait for a fix rather than restoring for now

still broken here, does MS is aware of it?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by StephenFeltmate (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@StephenFeltmate 

I can confirm that VPN is now working again in Build 22557.1

View solution in original post