Use modern UI (Fluent)to rebuild the most commonly used system components (such as file explorer).

Iron Contributor

Use modern UI to rebuild the most commonly used system components (such as file explorer).

It has been five years since Windows 10 was released, but there is still a huge gap. Win32 applications and UWP applications seem to be two completely different worlds.

As a user, I am eagerly looking forward to a thorough design refresh to build a unified, modern, touch-oriented Fluent Design System interface. Take a look at the highest number of votes in the feedback center. Faced with the voice that File Explorer has consistently topped the list for three years, Do you hear the people sing? I know that Microsoft really doesn't want to invest in the consumer business, and just make "maintenance" updates. I think I will really switch to macOS and iOS if this continues. At least people make me think that people value consumers, and people point to you for eating this bowl of rice, and you are their food and clothing parents. Now, Microsoft gives me the feeling that Windows 10 is a huge platform with a vast "moat", and most consumers are unable to switch to other platforms. Apple's devices are expensive and Linux is not available to ordinary people. Therefore, Windows is rotten. Both are used by people.

I list the names of some applications that urgently need a design refresh:
1. File Explorer, including file selector (also known as open and save dialog box)
2. Task Manager
3. Resource monitor (may consider merging into task manager? The two seem to have overlapping functions, but resource monitor is usually for professional users)
4. Notepad
5. Font Viewer
6. Registry Editor
7. System Information

Is there a roadmap, especially the file explorer, and when will the interface be updated? ? ?

There is a UWP version but the old version of the program has not been eliminated. The left is the old version, and the right is the new version. Please delete the old version from Windows as soon as possible:
1. Character mapping table-character mapping table
2. Screenshot tool-screenshot and sketch
3. Windows Media Player-Movies and TV/Photos
4. Painting-Paint 3D
5. Command Prompt-Cross-platform PowerShell

It is temporarily impossible to convert to UWP applications. After WinUI3 is released, use WinUI3 to reconstruct the modern interface

1. Windows management console related
2. Service
3. Magnifying glass
4. Some Windows management tools

5 Replies
Windows insider developer team don't usually take feedbacks from forums, the primary way is through feedback hub app

@HotCakeX 

Regarding the points I mentioned, the feedback center has the highest votes all year round. I have sent these feedbacks in the feedback center. Many of them have been incorporated into "collections" because more than one person mentioned these suggestions.

For the resource manager, FDS (or UWP) is used, but in fact, everyone only cares about the appearance, as long as the appearance is changed. After all, explorer.exe is a desktop environment. I am not sure whether this thing can be UWP, or divide the desktop environment and file browsing. Separation is also a solution) The suggestion is 6186 votes, 280+ comments; the suggestion that the control panel is to complete the migration of the settings app as soon as possible is 9000+ votes; the file explorer is added to the tab page function 25000+ votes (I think "Restore" is more appropriate, after all, Microsoft has tested the global-tabs that are not restricted by a single app); but it has no effect

We're going to see more UI changes this year because of Sun Valley.

@HotCakeX 

Generally speaking, Microsoft will end the feature development in March, complete the RTM version in June, and push the official version in September. It is now less than a month before the deadline of 21H2(Sun Valley), and I think it is difficult for us to see real changes.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-sun-valley-features-everything-we-know

Probably the biggest change is the "alarm and clock"

alarm and clock is just the beginning, i got the update more than 2 weeks ago, those dates are all up in the air, nothing concrete to rely on