Unusualy high CPU usage of OneDrive Build 21.002.0104.0005

Copper Contributor

OneDrive is using around 30% of the CPU on my Thinkpad T460 (i5-6200u) when syncing. As a web developer my laptop gets nearly unusable when OneDrive is activated. A similar problem was adressed in following thread:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-insider-program/fixed-anyone-else-having-onedrive-hig...

I tried disconnecting the account, reinstalling OneDrive nothing helps. Even changing small files takes unusally long to process. 

Update:
I bought a new ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 with a Ryzen 4500u. For everyone who knows about current CPU models I don't have to say more about the great performance of these CPUs. It's a 6 core CPU with great single core performance. There are several benchmarks which show the 4000 series are superior to many Intel Ice Lake and even Tiger Lake CPUs.

So I thought there might be better CPU behaviour of Onedrive now with this kind of CPU but I was proven wrong today.

OneDrive still uses up around 30% of the CPU and even goes up to 50% now. What's also new behaviour is that it sometimes works with 20% of CPU. The 50% especially occur when Onedrive works for a longer time.

I don't want to sound disrespectful or spoiled but how can a cloud software use this kind of CPU resources? I don't know anything about the technical issues creating such a software but shouldn't Onedrive be something which can be used permanently in the background without interfering with the overall performance. I've used some systems from Google Drive to Dropbox and even Time Capsule (which was the best system so far). I never experienced such problems until now with Onedrive.

I think this should be fixed soon I don't think this is how it's supposed to be. Other than that (And the mobile app. The usability sometimes feels like something from the 2000s) Onedrive especially with Office is a great value.

7 Replies

Hello @kj

Try to reset OneDrive, see if it makes any differences.

1. Open a Run dialog by pressing Windows key + R.

2. Type %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset and press OK. A Command window may appear briefly.

3. Manually launch OneDrive using Cortana or Windows Search. Type OneDrive in the search box, and then click on the OneDrive desktop app. Re-setup OneDrive.

Let us know if this helps!

@Kapil Arya 

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately this didn't do anything. Still using around 30% CPU and taking several minutes to process 2 small files with not more than 10mb when changed. 

Best

Kasun

I am seeing the same thing with this version, as well as only 1 of the 2 accounts I've had setup on it actually working.  I have a personal and business account, only the business account shows in the system tray and shows green checkmarks on files; personal has gray Xs, not in tray and it won't let me add it.  Also, I'm not even on any insider builds, appears this was bundled with monthly patches on Tuesday.

@Kapil Arya 

Do you know if there is any update in sight in the near future? OneDrive is really bothering me at the moment. 

Thanks!

My CPU is about 60-80% usage

Update: I bought a new ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 with a Ryzen 4500u. For everyone who knows about current CPU models I don't have to say more about the great performance of these CPUs. It's a 6 core CPU with great single core performance. There are several benchmarks which show the 4000 series are superior to many Intel Ice Lake and even Tiger Lake CPUs.

So I thought there might be better CPU behaviour of Onedrive now with this kind of CPU but I was proven wrong today.

OneDrive still uses up around 30% of the CPU and even goes up to 50% now. What's also new behaviour is that it sometimes works with 20% of CPU. The 50% especially occur when Onedrive works for a longer time.

I don't want to sound disrespectful or spoiled but how can a cloud software use this kind of CPU resources? I don't know anything about the technical issues creating such a software but shouldn't Onedrive be something that can be used permanently in the background without interfering with the overall performance. At least that's how it was 2 months ago.

I've used some systems from Google Drive to Dropbox and even Time Capsule (which was the best system so far). I never experienced such problems until now with Onedrive.

I think this should be fixed soon I don't think this is how it's supposed to be. Other than that (And the mobile app. The usability sometimes feels like something from the 2000s) Onedrive especially with Office is a great value.