Unable to install KB5017384, getting error 0x80070002

Copper Contributor

I run the update trouble shooter but still getting same error.

Current version 22622.575

3 Replies

@sigsegv 

Hello sigsegv,

The error message "0x80070002" is a well-known error code encountered when updating Windows. The error when installing a Windows update could occur due to various reasons such as system files have been lost or deleted, incorrect system settings, updates not working correctly, etc.

However, below given are a few solutions that you can follow to troubleshoot the above error and fix the issue,

Check the System Date and Time settings:

The operating system will usually determine the information about the time zone, time, and date automatically. If this synchronization process doesn't work, then it can lead to update error 0x80070002

• Firstly, go to "Control Panel" and click on it. 
  • Now, open the "Date and Time" option.
  • Then, press on "Change date and time" and make the required corrections.
  • Next, configure your time zone before pressing an OK button.
  • Press the "Internet Time" tab before selecting "Change Settings."
  • Now, check "Synchronize with an Internet time server" before choosing the Time Server from the list shown and press the "Update Now" option.
  • Lastly, press "OK" twice to save the configuration and close all windows.

Check and Repair System Files:

You must scan all protected system files to check for any corrupted files on your system.

• Firstly, click on Start, type cmd, and a command prompt will appear
  • Now, right-click on Command Prompt to open with Administrator rights
  • Next, click Yes on the user account dialogue box.
  • Then, type the below command and hit Enter to process further:

SFC /scannow

Note: You will have to wait till the process gets complete

• If you are getting succeed message, then try to run Windows Update again, but if you get an error message containing corrupted files, then remove the corrupted files.
  • Lastly, restart the Windows system.

Delete Software Distribution Folder:

All downloaded Windows updates are stored in the Software distribution folder. It might turn out that some files in the folder are corrupt, which can prevent the installation of updates. Deleting it can help to resolve the error.

• Firstly, click "This PC" and navigate the "C:\Windows" folder.
  • Now, search for "SoftwareDistribution" and delete the folder.
  • Lastly, restart your PC before accessing the Windows Update Store.

Use the Windows Update Troubleshooter:

If you get an error code while installing and downloading Windows updates, the Update Troubleshooter can help resolve the problem.

• Firstly, navigate to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooters
  • Then, select Windows Update and Run.
  • Lastly, restart the device after it finishes running.

Thus, I hope the above ways help you to install KB5017384 without getting any error code.

--------------------------
Regards,
Austin_M

@Austin_M 

I tired all the points you listed and still getting the error

SFC did not find any integrity violations

I deleted SoftwareDistribution folder and rebooted and tried to install the update. It started downloading then at 10% of download it started installing it, install got process got to 100% and then failed with the 

Install error - 0x80070002 message

If i run the update trouble shooter it says problem found, made some changes to your system try again.  Though If i run the trouble shooter again it again says same thing problem found made some changes try again.