the New Microsoft Edge is not available in Dev build 21286

MVP

the new Chromium based Microsoft Edge browser is available by default in Windows 10 20H2, but in later version of Windows which is Dev channel Build 21286, Edge legacy is there instead.

this doesn't make sense, I was expecting to see the new Microsoft Edge in Windows after a fresh install.

Feedback link: https://aka.ms/AAarmxh

11 Replies

@HotCakeX Привет. Я перестал поступать из фона push-уведомлений от Microsoft края на основе хрома. он не исчез из системы. 21286

@HotCakeX Hello. I stopped coming from the background push notifications from Microsoft edge based on chromium. it didn't disappear from the system. 21286

When I fresh installed Build 21286 from ISO file, the new Edge wasn't in the OS.
did you also download Windows 10 21286 ISO file and did a fresh install?

@HotCakeX No. I've updated through the update center. I had a new Microsoft edge installed. and after the notifications were updated, they stopped coming.

@HotCakeX I also agree with you. it's strange that the new version of windows being developed uses the old Microsoft edge.

@nikitat1260 

@nikitat1260 wrote:

@HotCakeX No. I've updated through the update center. I had a new Microsoft edge installed. and after the notifications were updated, they stopped coming.

Okay so it looks like it's a different problem, this is simply about unavailability of the new Edge on Dev build 21286 after a fresh install.

I saw your other post about notifications, i will try to reproduce it, thanks

@HotCakeX, I also did a clean install of Build 21286 and I can confirm, legacy Microsoft Edge was pre-installed. Hope it gets fixed in next build!

Now I know the reason for this, it's because Build 21286 is still using version 2004 code base.
Windows 10 only started having the new Edge preinstalled since version 20H2 (which is only in stable and release preview rings), so once the Dev channel of Windows insider starts receiving builds from a newer code base (20H2 and above) then they will have the new Edge preinstalled as well.

Dev/Fast ring version will most likely remain that way until just before release of next stable release (21H1), few months from now.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-insider-program/windows-10-insider-fast-ring-build-19...

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:

Now I know the reason for this, it's because Build 21286 is still using version 2004 code base.

No it's not

the 2004 tag only get updated when the build is close to release and no longer evaluation (i.e. don't expire)

all insider preview builds after 19041 still have v2004 tag

version 20H2 didn't got new Edge preinstalled, they simply installed it via Enablement Package during Audit/sysprep installation, and then captured new install.wim image

that's why latest v20H2 ESDs/ISOs have bigger sizes, because the new Edge bloat alone adds > 560 MB

Thanks, those are great info, so when do you think that Edge legacy will be replaced by the new Edge in insider channels?

And did you find out about the process by which they added new Edge to 20h2 on your own? Because that's interesting

@HotCakeX I don't know when legacy Edge wll be eliminated

Yes, it's not hard to inspect install.wim with 7-zip
this is the only way to install external Win32 program on Windows, you cannot integrate it offline, Audit/Sysprep is the "official" way

you could see report likes this because of that, they did poor job in cleaning those syspreped install.wim

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/166940-ghost-devices-20h2-device-manager.html