System tray icon issues on Windows 11 Insider Build 22581.1 in Beta Channel

Brass Contributor

So far I have run into two new issues with the system tray icons with the Windows 11 Insider Build 22581.1 released in the Beta Channel.

1. I'm not able to move system tray icons around as before

2. System tray icons are not being removed after closing the app or killing the process (*workaround is to restart the explorer.exe process for icon to be removed from tray).

I'm hoping these issues will be resolved soon.

46 Replies

@plokert 

Yeah...put this update off until I got back from vacation.  Reeeeeally wishing I kept putting it off as I'm now seeing what you're seeing, which is...nothing.  Nothing in the system tray...possibly not even the system tray itself as that portion of the taskbar is blank-screen black. 

Fiddling with which app icons are toggled on actually changes the size of the black area, so I presume the system tray is actually 'running' to some degree, but I can't see it or interact with it.  Very annoying.

I'm also seeing a 'Windows 11 Home /n Evaluation copy.Build 22581.ni_release.220318-1623' watermark in the corner of the screen which definitely wasn't there before...

I'm running a 

Lenovo Legion 5 (15ARH05H)

Ryzen 7 4800H

16GB RAM

RTX 2060

@DrBobNZ Agreed, and I'd ask everyone coming here for a solution to go to you link and Upvote the feedback hub issue!

Good idea - will be interesting to see if MS reverses this change (in other words, if they fix what they broke)
Same issue here plus watermark on desktop

@Teohc 

Hello,

Pls refer to below WIP official announcement regarding the watermarks:

Little_Joe_0-1649664868350.png

I wonder where Microsoft hire their UX and Product designers
They probably don't even hire any
This is precisely why I was vociferously against all of you begging for the unification of Control Panel & Settings. Congratulations, this is what you've wrought. Now simple tasks like this one will be moved to the Settings app. MMC was the bedrock of Windows and its ability to run n+1 instances is why it was so coveted. Settings does not support multiple instances.
this doesnt works properly since if you restart the application of the icon, it goes most right-aligned (making everything a disorder!)

same here. only restart win 11 helped

PLEASE restore the ability to move the system tray icons and keep their orientation upon restart, this is a regression, not progress, what possible purpose does it provide by placing the icons haphazardly on every restart...
I'm experiencing the same issue as of 21st April 2022

WOW, so Microsoft removed a desktop feature everyone liked to improve tablet operation. Isn't there a tablet mode, is it too much to ask you to code one more line that only removed this feature in that mode? Also what's with the icons being really spaced out now, They are notification Icons they don't need massive amount of space around them at the expense of having to have 2 layers of normal Program Icons! MS, you need to get some better UI designers, this is day one stuff!

Yeah, its BS....MS are either saying the messed up or they don't have a clue what users want.

@yep, contextual menu hidden, system tray causing unresponding right down screen and around icons(!), some of those should be fixed, lets try

@plokert 

Mine too, I turn on all the app icon in "other system tray icon" and turn it off back, it solve the problem and the "show hidden icon" in the taskbar show up. Hope this help.

@Jamil_Yusof Yes, same to me here.
Hope the soon the fix update will be in place

@RoflnomishHa, my tray just vanished!  When I unhide the apps they just appear on my toolbar.  Awesome! lol

@Miroslav_Bulka @Roflnomish

Right now I already reinstall the Windows 11, because when I restart that "show hidden apps" button keep disappear. lol

BRAVO, idiot Microsoft developers! Keep messing it up! Seems like each experience update you release, the taskbar only gets worse.

ALL WE NEED IS YOU DEVIATE THE TABLET VERSION OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM FROM THE PC VERSION, IT ISN'T THAT HARD!

Yeah, they should be getting devs who are more up to spec for their pay grade. The current devs need to be assigned to either take out the trash, or wipe butt.