sudden slow internet speed on windows 11

Copper Contributor

recently I updated my windows 10 to windows 11. after that my download speed is suddenly decreased my actual internet speed is 25mbps when I check on the speed test also its showing 25mbps but while downloading on chrome or on Microsoft edge it'll be decreased to around 200kbps and even youtube is also the same. I tried resetting the network adapter. please give me some solution.

Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 100/100 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::8de6:78e6:f807:ff5d%6
IPv4 address: 192.168.100.7
IPv4 DNS servers: 192.168.100.1 (Unencrypted)
Manufacturer: Realtek
Description: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Driver version: 10.26.328.2018
Physical address (MAC): **************

98 Replies

I ran TCP Optimizer, I got some errors about not having admin rights, but even still my speed improved dramatically. Here's hoping it sticks.

Did actually work! Tried different methods (thought the problem was in network switch) but actually it's 11's problem. So disabling all the network adapters (VPNs, NAS etc) in windows worked.
Oh well... It comes back, even after disabling all the networks. For some reason the cap is moving between 40mb on upload while giving unlimited speed to download. And it switches back and forth..
Well, TCP Optimizer did improve my Wifi speed/performance for a few days but then reverted back to the sluggish speeds. I even tried resetting my network settings and that did not help. I ended up connecting an Ethernet cable to my computer and now I get consistently fast speed/performance every day. I'm going to keep this setup until Microsoft addresses the issue and releases a patch for Windows 11.
So i have tried all the solutions listed below. None of them worked for me. Then i just noticed something weird in my network connections. There was a second wifi direct adaptor being shown without any connection to the internet. I disabled it two times and it disappeared. Sadly i couldn't take the screenshot but now my speed is reverted back to original 200 mbps. Cheers!

@anupbadri 

Have you found a resolution yet?  I have the same issue (occurs both over wired and wireless connections).  If I reinstall NIC drivers, speed is restored, but by the next day it has dropped from 170 Mbps to only 10.  Each time I reinstall the NIC driver, the internet speed is restored but never lasts. 

I dunno. All I did the reset in:
Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network Connections.
After following the troubleshooting there mine was fixed and has been good since. I didn't just reset the NIC card alone.
Thank you for the update.
Make sure report this issue using the Feedback Hub app and report this issue and update the Windows and your Network Driver.
I am running Windows 11 ARM on a Macbook pro M1 16" laptop. Windows 11 upload speed test is 20 times slower than same speed test on the Mac iOS (using Ookla). Mac iOS speed is 236.13 Mbps download and 31.52 Mbps upload. Windows 11 ARM speed is 248.72 download and 0.17 Mbps upload (185 times slower upload). Something is wrong with Windows 11 ARM. Outlook email sending is also slow due to the slow upload issue. Microsoft, please improve Windows 11 ARM upload speed. It is so slow.

@anupbadri Trıed all solution in this entry. Finally find it. If you ever faced with same issue and could not fixed it I hope this will work. I just turned off Bluetooth. And now it works like charm.

@bryandav1965 This was a huge help. Same story as a lot of folks, upgraded from 10 to 11, have 1 Gig internet, was only getting around 30 m down. Used TCP Optimizer, got my speeds back. Annoying bug for sure. Appreciate your insight

Well, did a clean install of Windows 11 and my speeds dramatically improved to over 200 Mbps.  But the slowdown reoccurs requiring me to go into device manager, delete the NIC driver, and reinstalling it.  I've gotten it down to a science now and it only takes a few seconds but its still a pain in the arse.  Microsoft needs to fix this.

@anupbadri 

What works for me was disabling "Network" optimization from Dell Optimizer tools.

I have a Dell Precision with WIndows 11.

I had a drop in connection everytime I would open Microsoft Teams, and it will persist even if I close the app or the web tab (from 400 Mbps to 0.5Mbps).

I tried everything from : 

- updating drivers

- updating dock driver (USB connection to my laptop)

- disabling IPV6

- trying with and without AWS VPN

- tried the web app instead of desktop app for Teams

- Windows Update

- Dell Command Update

- Office 325 Update

- trying Wifi 2.4 and 5GHz

- trying direct Ethernet connection from router

Found out there were artificial intelligence from Dell on the network that was "Give maximum bandwith to the conference app I'm using". I disabled the option and my connection was normal again.

@Thanh_Thao_TA 

Hello, I'm also having Internet download speeds issues on Windows 11, but in my case this is related to USB3 ethernet adapters, when I use WiFi it works great every time.

Here is more https://superuser.com/questions/1729035/slower-internet-speeds-with-usb-ethernet-adapter-than-card-f... this is driving me nuts... I checked everything I have idea.

My wife's Galaxy Book started to have the same issue today. It her case it is linked to the power supply.

Connect PS: 200 kbps
Disconnect PS: 90 mbps
Connect PS: 300 kbps
Disconnect PS: 89 mbps

@svhelden in my case it does not matter if I have plugged supply or change device power plan, this happen even if I have all set into performance mode. This issue is 100% related to Windows 11 or USB ethernet cards drivers ( funny that with chipsets from Realtek and ASIX is the same problem ). If I run test with Linux USB bootable speeds are awesome with that USB cards... easy & stable over 40-50 MB/s from Internet, normally it starts around 15 MB/s and drops to 4-5 MB/s.

@mstremmelaar it works went to services and stop killer

Facing similar issue in windows11 , speed is less than 20mpps , service provider provides 100mbps.
have raised via feedback. hope will get resolved this issue soon.
Windows team might not share direct response, but they will review all feedbacks.
Meanwhile, make sure report this issue to your hardware vendor.
This works like a champ, we should disable that server forever. It take out 150mb download speed from my 200mb plan