sudden slow internet speed on windows 11

Copper Contributor

recently I updated my windows 10 to windows 11. after that my download speed is suddenly decreased my actual internet speed is 25mbps when I check on the speed test also its showing 25mbps but while downloading on chrome or on Microsoft edge it'll be decreased to around 200kbps and even youtube is also the same. I tried resetting the network adapter. please give me some solution.

Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 100/100 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::8de6:78e6:f807:ff5d%6
IPv4 address: 192.168.100.7
IPv4 DNS servers: 192.168.100.1 (Unencrypted)
Manufacturer: Realtek
Description: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Driver version: 10.26.328.2018
Physical address (MAC): **************

98 Replies

@anupbadri 

i dont have any killer network..etc but i know the max speed i get is 10-12mps instead of win 10 getting 300 plus thats with a vpn running

Killer network is not in my computer services, What to do??

@anupbadri 

i just reverted back to windows 10 and my internet was back to normal

@anupbadri I upgraded today and have Gigabit fiber internet service and I am barely getting 50 down and 4 up on Wifi. I have no Killer services. So disappointed. I tried upgrading my drivers. I bought this laptop 3 weeks ago and it said it was able to be upgraded.

Hey man, thanks a lot. This worked like a charm.

@anupbadri  I used TCPoptimizer and set it to 100MBPS.  Run it as administrator.  Boom, speeds back to normal.  Great little tool, changes all the settings for you.  I didn't have any of the KIller stuff in Settings, so this worked for me.  Just Google the program, free.

Thanks. Did as you suggested and worked instantly. My question is tho does anyone know why this is happening?

@WenchxHunter 

The Reason for the Speed Problem is very Easy. On the Device Manager, select the Network Interface, right click and then on preferences. Click on Extended. Seach for Speed & Dublex. On my device the 2,5Gbs entry was selected. Go to 1.0 GBS FullDublex and the Problem is solved!!!

@WenchxHunter  No clue.  The upgrade must use generic Registry values that don't work for all.  But this little tool has always fixed my problem.  It simply tweaks the registry values for better throughput.  Wish I had a better reason as I'm just guessing.  But this always seems to happen with upgrades and some updates.  Glad the fix worked for you.

In my case, I simply disabled Citrix Virtual Adapter. It seems this virtual device did not like the upgrade from Windows 10.

I have a new Dell computer that was running Windows 10. After upgrading to Windows 11 my internet download speed dropped from over 500mbps to under 300mbps. Upload speed unchanged. Ran the network troubleshooter and reset the network card. Also reset my router & modem. No issues are currently present and all systems are up to date.

I have a Lenovo computer running Windows 10 on a desk in the same room. That computer is still running at over 500mbps. So with the only change being the update to Windows 11 and all other things being equal, I can logically assume that the this new version of Windows is causing the slow down issue on the down load side of things. Since others are experiencing the same issue I think we need to look to Microsoft for a resolution and not monkey with our settings.
I'm also facing the same problem. I used to get 50Mbps in windows 10, but in windows 11 it is 20Mbps. One strange thing I have noticed is that the speed always goes down to 20Mbps as if there is some upper limit set on it.
Turning airplane mode on/off brings the speed back to normal for a while but can't rely on it everytime.
I've tried the solutions given in this discussion thread, but none solved the problem permanently.
Anyone having other solutions, please tell

Mandeep

i solved the problem for myself. I disable 2.4 GHz and only use 5 GHz. Then it's fast again
sadly, i don't have a 5 GHz connection
you dont have a router with 5Ghz? it's so yesterday ;)

Disabling the IPv6 did the trick for me!

How I did it:

1. Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
  2. Right Click the connection type (Wifi, Ethernet...) and go to Properties
  3. Uncheck 'Internet Protocol Version 6...'
  4. Restart

Massive changes here on both, wifi and cable.

Hope this helps! :)

@mstremmelaar i cant find it

@mroliveira 
Have already tried this and it made no difference.  Thanks for the help

Don

Does your current Windows 11 OS build number are 22000.346?

Guys, 

I did a few tests toggling IPv6 and it turns out that the wifi was just oscilating.

It seems that the problem here is related to my router.

My cellphone gets better speeds, so Windows 11 is probably causing some issues, nut it was not the IPv6.

Sorry for the false positive. :(