Start Menu Not Opening - Windows 11 Dev

Brass Contributor

My start menu isn't working. I've tried restarting the computer, restarting windows explorer and checking my disk for errors but nothing seems to work. 

When hover over it, a tooltip pops up that says 'start'. When I push the windows key on the keyboard, sometimes it will act like it is opening (I see a screen pop up that is the same color as my toolbar) but it immediately goes away and seems to crash windows explorer as my icons disappear for a minute or so. 

It seems that everything else works so far, any idea what it could be or how to fix?

Specs below:

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Update 21H2
Installed on ‎7/‎1/‎2021
OS build 22000.65

75 Replies

This neat little trick did it. Thanks! 

@JamesTran1891 

It worked ! Thanks !
bro what was your problem?
Same problem Bro, Any Solution for these issues?? Please Help !!
My start menu disappeared along with everything at the bottom of the screen. It almost drove me crazy and I just did exactly what was suggested, changed the date to one day forward, I rebooted the computer and everything was back to normal.
Bro How to do that plz
Step 1: Use CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose to open Task Manager.
Step 2: Choose “More details” at the bottom of Task Manager to expand Task Manager.
Step 3: Go to “File” and choose “Run new task”.
Step 4: Type “cmd” in the “Open” field.
Step 5: Paste the following: reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f && shutdown -r -t 0
Step 6: Hit enter, and then your PC should reboot. After rebooting, everything should be back to normal.
I ctl*alt*del to taskman and opened run to load edge and cmd. Download the last build iso then launch it. It won't load but will be active. Then simply list vol to find the drive letter for the ISO and run location\setup.exe

Windows installer will load and you can manual fix your broken install. Be sure to include all updates.

My issue was the main update file was never installed so a huge chunk of windows simply wasn't there. This should fix your issues.
bro HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f && shutdown -r -t 0 . I got the system path is not found message.

@PestiferMundi 

The fix to this issue is:

1. Open Task Manager

2. Press File and then Run New Task

3. Write "control"

4. Search Date and Time and switch the day 2 days ahead or (September 4)

Afterwards it should refresh and work

After 30mins of trying simple things and finding an entire packet missing, I went with a painless ISO "upgrade" install. In the future I'll give your method a try. Thanks.
It worked dude!! But what next i mean so the date which was entered is permanent

This method worked perfectly for me! ThanksSSS! @NeilChen 

In case anyone missed it, the Windows team has provided a workaround to resolve the issue
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1433615378362503177

It's in the Windows Insider blog for each release, dev and beta.

I can confirm it works and I'm back to normal.

@-tronix- 

• Step 1: Use CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose to open Task Manager.
  • Step 2: Choose “More details” at the bottom of Task Manager to expand Task Manager.
  • Step 3: Go to “File” and choose “Run new task”.
  • Step 4: Type “cmd” in the “Open” field.
  • Step 5: Paste the following (everything in bold):
    reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f && shutdown -r -t 0
  • Step 6: Hit enter, and then your PC should reboot. After rebooting, everything should be back to normal.

this doesn't work for me.. I have tried all these an nothing is working.
All was good until I did the reg edit to use win10 UI style now i have no start or search popup when i click them x.x

C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f && shutdown -r -t 0
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

It worked the first time and rebooted my pc but still no working start or search on click.. Win 11 pro 22000.176

I also cant remove that KB5004300 update, the system just not listing it in uninstall but it is listed as installed.

Tried. Did not work. There is no /IrisService in the registry.

I didn't have an issue with the start menu, but my issue was with the quick access menu never opening neither with a click nor with the keyboard shortcut.  This issue has happened to me twice now, and this method solved my problem both times.  The fix was permanent the first time until I updated to 22463.1000.  

1) Press "win" and type "connect to a wireless display"

2) Select the option from "system settings"

3) Now in the display settings, click "Connect" next to "Connect to a wireless display"

4) This should open a menu on the bottom right where the quick access menu should be opening. 

5) Click the back arrow next to "win+k"

6) This should open the quick access menu and make it accessible forever

(You may be able to do this just by pressing "win+k" and then the back arrow, but I didn't try this myself and therefore cannot speak to its efficacy)

Once again. No. This was a bad install from the internet. The .iso I downloaded manually worked perfect, thus fixing the problem which I havnt had again.