Slow virtual desktop switching on windows 11

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I recently joined the windows insider program and installed Windows 11. But since then, I am facing a significantly slow virtual desktop switching, compared to windows 10 (4 fingers slide gesture on trackpad). 

I am on the beta channel, but I have been facing this problem since the very first release of windows 11, when I was on the dev channel. 

These are my hardware specs : 

yanismnsr_0-1630580957885.png

Is there any solution to speed this up ? 

Thanks in advance.

27 Replies
This noticeably improved issue for me.
2023-01 and still nothing addressing this issue from MSFT
(RTX A4500)

If you change your touchpad settings so that four-finger swipe performs the Ctrl+Win+Right/Left Arrow key, you lose an important function. One of my virtual desktops is a remote desktop session in full screen mode. I can switch in and out of it with touchpad gestures. I cannot with keyboard shortcuts. Keyboard shortcuts are sent to the remote computer.

The other suggestions of setting a single color background mostly solved the problem for me.

And turning off "Snap Windows", like another user suggested, did not provide any additional benefit, so I turned it back on.  I like black backgrounds anyway (fewer distractions), so it is a win-win.

Maybe in a few more years Microsoft will fix this problem.  I have a Mac also, and it is flawless with these sort of things.

I have to admit that the engine used for virtual desktops in Windows 11 is simply bad, I have been using both Windows and Macbook for years, and in a Macbook with basic hardware, everything works smoothly without any problem, while in Windows with a powerful processor and graphics accelerator for games, moving windows looks like I have a Pentium 4..., Time to wake up, even the free Linux does it without any problem.

@bennie1180 so true! couldn't have said it better

for anyone still struggling with this, I found a solution (thanks to ChatGPT woohoo) which isn't as heavy-handed as some of the others here. you can do: right click start menu > system > advanced system settings > performance settings > visual effects > choose "custom" > disable "animate controls and elements inside Windows"

windows-animations.png

I came here to post exactly this. I noticed switching between virtual desktops got slow just after I had set separate wallpapers on all 3 of my VDs, and as soon as I put the same wallpaper on all 3, the problem was gone. I would not advise having separate wallpapers on multiple VDs for this reason at this point. If anyone notices that this problem does not occur anymore in the future, feel free to let me know. :)

I solved the issue by setting 'Adjust for best appearence'... figure out why... I tried everything else, solid background, disable animations, disable window snapping... but nothing seemed to fix the problem. Anyway thank you for putting me on  the right track @esowdenguzman 

worked amazingly well, thank you