Running Fullscreen Video cause Stutter/lag in 19002

Brass Contributor

19002 introduced a horrible video lag (MPC-HC+madVR) in full-screen!
As soon as I go full-screen the fps drop sharply and stuttering begins, if I only go to the seek bar or right click menu etc. (thus still same resolution rendering), all works again in max fps (I have Fury GPU, that has more than enough strength for my madVR setting).
All worked in previous build (had the shutdown/restart issue though), same settings and all.

58 Replies

@MDM-1I have the same issue too. Fullscreen video on all browser and fullscreen in videogame cause stutter and lag. There were nothing like this in the previous build i have. My GPU is AMD radeon vega 56. I tred updating my gpu driver but it didn't take effect.

Yes I noticed on Feedback hub the game issues, and I presume they are all Shader relater (madVR uses them); but why only in fullscreen..?

Tried the driver too, no effect.
You also have AMD, does anyone with Nvidia (Intel iGPU) have the same issues?

I am limited to 10-15 FPS in fullscreen, and have near 75 FPS in windowed mode (my monitor is 75Hz Freesync).

Here is my Feedback link, please up vote if same/similar issue:

https://aka.ms/AA6dj1v

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/10/22/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-1...

A new build is out, nothing is mentionned about our issue but it's worth trying it

I installed it but issue is still there

@MagicLinkUnfortunately, since it still isn't present in Known/Fixed issues, so not yet acknowledged as problem...

Same here using AMD RX 580 with Adrenalin Driver 2019 19.9.3 in 19002 (32gb Ram, Ryzen 5 3600)
Video start lagging as soon as it goes fullscreen on chrome and firefox (youtube, steam), VLC, but not in potplayer (tested with AVC1 video codec and hardware acceleration).  

If you are using the internal renderer in PotPlayer, sure, I have no lag in MPC-HC with "enhanced video renderer" that use CPU and not GPU (shaders).
If you used madVR in PotPlayer, you probably would have lag...
Have you tried reinstalling your GPU driver properly or updating to a new one?

first uninstall it via DDU

@vinnocenti 

@vinnocenti wrote:

Same here using AMD RX 580 with Adrenalin Driver 2019 19.9.3 in 19002 (32gb Ram, Ryzen 5 3600)
Video start lagging as soon as it goes fullscreen on chrome and firefox (youtube, steam), VLC, but not in potplayer (tested with AVC1 video codec and hardware acceleration).  

Looks like a problem with mostly AMD cards?

I use VLC everyday and now I'm on build 19008, using Intel GPU 630 updated driver made for build 1909, things are fine. in VLC, hardware acceleration is set to automatic.

Of course I first also tried to clean drivers (although I suspected it vas build fault - happened before) but no, this is a definitely a build problem, like many have it in games also. Not sure if AMD only issue, too little user info but in games they had NVidia too.

Like I said, not internal or hardver accelerated (like native etc.) options, ONLY variants with use of shaders, like madVR...
Good info,
so either:
1. it is a bug and Microsoft should fix it
2. one of the Windows 10 components is changed or upgraded and Graphic card manufacturers need to release a compatible driver

@HotCakeX I do think it is 1. :lol:

If not, Graphic card manufacturers do not support insider, so in that case we are s*****d :sad:

Well it's insider and it comes with its flaws. as you said it only effects shaders so not everything is effected.
there are currently bigger problems in insider than this. games with Battle Eye anticheat can't be run on insider Windows versions, they very popular games.

@HotCakeX 

Updated drivers to latest version (19.10.2) after DDU uninstall and problem persists.
I disabled chrome hardware acceleration to be able to use netflix. I think this is an important issue.

1. don't use Windows insider builds as your main OS.
2. the problem need a fix either from Graphic card manufacturers, specially AMD. i'm on Intel Graphic card with latest driver and everything is fine. so this is Not a universal problem of Windows 10 build 19008 insider.

Ah, its finally acknowledged as "[ADDED] We’re investigating reports of frames being skipped, starting with Build 19002, when running games and videos fullscreen.".

Hope it gets fixed soon, as it is very annoying.. :smile:

That's good news ;)

I have the same problem and noticed that it only happens when I open a video game/application/video in fullscreen on the main screen (when the checkbox "Make this my main display" is checked) and then the lag/stutter affects all screens.