Refresh button on Windows 11 in File Explorer

Copper Contributor

I absolutely hate this new right-click menu when I am on File Explorer. I cannot directly click "Refresh" but have to click 'Show more' and then only click "Refresh". WTH was Microsoft thinking when deciding that. I shouldn't be the only one who is getting annoyed with this. 

17 Replies

Hi @Azmart,

If you want to disable Show More Options from the Windows 11 Context Menu, please apply the below command in the elevated (Run as admin) mode of cmd.

reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve

After the above command, press CTRL + ALT + DEL to launch GINA (Graphical Identification and Authentication) screen and select Task Manager, find and restart the Windows Explorer as shown in the screenshot.

Disabling Show More Options from the Windows 11, Restart Windows ExplorerDisabling Show More Options from the Windows 11, Restart Windows Explorer

Thank you. But what I really wanted was to add a refresh option on the current new UI.

@Azmart 

You're welcome. If you'd like to have the Refresh option in Windows 11's context menu, please share your idea with Microsoft from Feedback Hub by pressing Win + F.

@Azmart 

If you want to revert back above changes, you need to execute the below cmdlet in cmd:

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}" /f
i completely agree. new context menu is a retardation of windows.
do these devs not use windows at all? do they not realise how many times a day some of us need to refresh file explorer, or send shortcuts to the desktop?
seriously, at this point i kinda want my money back. this is not the product i paid for, windows is some iPhone level fashion-accessory now, not a IT tool.
even delete, copy, etc being in icon form instead of in the list with everything else is a pain in the proverbial hole
I agree with you. They have a whole window, why not add a button up there, on the bar? I am extremely annoyed because File Explorer doesn't work well either, it doesn't refresh when you delete something and sometimes it says "file in use" when it's not true.
@SalmanAhmed... does anybody actually read the feedbacks? Because this is an important one.

@SalmanAhmed Thank you so much! Quick and painless! You're the best!

You're welcome @philteeth, and I'm happy to know that the answer helped you.

Is there any third party app/software or tricks to add refresh button in the current new UI?
Because I think Microsoft may release this feature in the next Windows 12 version, for which I can't wait for years!:face_with_rolling_eyes:

@Mr_Kumar Yes. Start11 by Stardock Software. Has refresh option, ungrouping of tabs on taskbar, and a few other "tricks". I've been using it for 2 yrs and love it! They've been really good w updates every 2 months or so, to keep up w Microsoft's Windows 11 occasional updates.

Or...a workaround I found for free to "refresh" files while in windows explorer without having to click on "more options". Just click on another tab/folder on the explorer side bar then click back to your folder. The files should now be "refreshed" to show the new file.

@Mr_Kumar there actually is a refresh button, its just in a stupid place .. not sure if this was always there, or if it was added in a later update (im on version 22H2)
(nevermind the weird file-name, i saved my screenshot over another file, didnt think microsoft would not just display the image, stupid me, thinking microsoft might be useful and helpful in some tiny way)

Thank you to bring the shortcut in my knowledge. This is a good and quick solution, I think.

Hi. It's been a while since you posted this, and I don't know if you were ever able to solve it, but I found this very helpful video https://rb.gy/1xa3me

@Azmart same here. Jesus M$ does dumb stuff. Right click Refresh is one of the most useful things.

@Azmart I'm not sure what everyone is carrying on about. They actually made it easier by adding a shortcut button right next to the address bar. 1-click instead of 2!

CoveyGroff_0-1705978171771.png