Problem installing the latest Insider Update

Copper Contributor

I am having a problem with the latest update - Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22623.891) (KB5020040) Install error - 0x800f0831

Last time this happened earlier this year, I had to do a complete OS install This is the last good update 10.0.22623.730

I tried all the  command prompts from a previous discussion - These two would not execute - said file cannot be found:

Ren  C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old 

Please advise, and let me know what to do next - very frustrating! Thanks! Jim Safran @Jim_Safran

9 Replies

@Jim_Safran 

I have the same issue. 

@rmm911 here's what I did.
Deleted the hanging build update (even though it will show that it's successfully installed, it's not). Downgrade from Beta to Release Preview. Pause updates and reboot. Then resume updates (which will be the latest release preview version) and you should be good to go. In all the years I've been doing this Insider program, I've only had this update issue twice. Last time, I went through a painful reinstall. Now, I'll do this as a holding pattern till MS has a more stable beta. From what I've read. this has something to do with this version not finding vital data from your current build.....Good luck!
As you may know Windows insider is under testing and evaluation and in such a case, you should file a bug report using the Feedback Hub app, so the Windows team would investigate the issue.

Hi @Jim_Safran 

Using ISOs - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Learn

if you download iso and update in place, it should go all right :)

Windows 11 Insiders will soon be able to switch from the Dev Channel to the Beta Channel directly. This is the solution.
Have a nica day.

@tcebeci 

Hi, such a possibility is only when both versions are the same, it was only in the spring of 2022, but there were problems so Microsoft is unlikely to repeat it!

Can you provide a source of information?

Yes, it was only in the spring of 2022. Problems solition is switch from the Dev Channel to the Beta Channel directly.

@tcebeci 

But the switch does not work now, to lower the channel you need to perform a clean installation of Windows.

Lowering the Dev channel. - to Beta without a clean installation of Windows - is available!!! - Micr...