PC Doesn't Meet Windows 11 System Requirement - i7 6700HQ

Brass Contributor

Hi team,

I just want to provide a feedback about the disappointment that my computer cannot be upgraded to Windows 11. I've been a big fan and supporter of Microsoft in the past 14 years ever since I had a PC and now I feel I am left out. 

It is a powerful gaming Alienware laptop I bought 4 years ago and it is still functioning very well. I have Visual Studio, SQL Server, Docker and many other development tools installed and it's been very productive. I feel so disappointed that I cannot upgrade it to Window 11 purely because my CPU is Intel 7th gen (i7 6700HQ). 

Thus I'm appealing you to consider changing the minimum requirement for Windows 11.

tangr2035_1-1632435365370.png

75 Replies

@tangr2035 I have this problem too, but I think Microsoft will fix it.

ArmenMonch_0-1635579338788.png

Hi Microsoft
I have same configuration. We are using Microsoft 365 for all staff, cloud systems so on..
We have mostly same Core i7-6700HQ computer configuration on our PCs. As @tangr2035 said Our laptop are running really well even for development purposes and there is really no strong reason for us to buy a new laptop to get Windows 11.
I understand that we have to select new OS, new development environment for us and for our customers. Because it is not possible for us to say that we can not support Windows 11.
It is better to not support Microsoft systems any more.

@tangr2035 I agree 7th gen CPU  should be supported for Windows 11.  I too have a 4 year old Dell XPS 15 9550  with an i7-6700HQ. CPU. The system is running perfectly and had a high spec when bought.  I cannot afford to buy a new laptop just to to get Windows 11.  Systems of this spec and age should not have built in obsolesce in such a short timeframe.  A more sustainable approach to Windows 11 development please Microsoft would be appreciated.

My laptop has the i7-6700HQ as well. We must have purchased the same alienware PC. I got mine in Oct 2016... not being able to upgrade to Win 11 is silly. makes no sesne. I have the @tangr2035 

i have an HP gaming laptop 

4 years old same e problem

@A1 I would assume you know the difference between an intel I7 6700HQ as mentioned above! and the link you supplied to AMD Ryzen first gen cpu's??? just asking but this seems to be the wrong link maybe?

Thanks\
My laptop using Intel Core i7 6700 HQ also facing the same problem.

@tangr2035 

I also have the Intel I7-6700HQ processor and meet all other requirements for the upgrade.  It is quite disappointing this CPU isn't on the compatibility list.  As I do not have a need to purchase a new laptop.  I highly suggest Microsoft to add this to their list of compatible processors.  

RodC67_0-1636132190675.png

Yehh i am facing the same issue
My laptop is 2yrs old and I am not able to upgrade to windows 11
Model Dell Inspiron 15 7559
Processor - Intel core i7- 6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Hope this helps I now have 11 running on the Intel 6700HQ

So I'm not sure if it works using update assistant however I downloaded the media creation tool from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Then after creating a USB install drive I did a clean install! So far all working well still working in the last of the drivers!

Good luck everyone that is just below minimum "recommended" specs

This honestly blows my mind that this is a problem. Microsoft please fix this or lose a lot of customers, and believe me, I am ready to leave over this.

Yeah me too.. been using Asus GL552VW with i7-6700HQ since 2017, no problem with the software/hardware.. all tip top.. disappointed with the "min. require 1ghz..." this processor @ 2.60GHz lorrr...

Is this a new strategy to make people buy new laptop/dekstop just for new OS Win 11?...
Hey you can install it on the Asus. I have the same GL552VW I downloaded the windows 11 media creation tool and made a USB install drive. All installed fine with no issues. Runs great!! Good luck but I would recommend the switch! Juat can't do the automatic update as the CPU isn't listed in the compatibility charts.
Same issue with my HP Pavilion 17, Core i7-6700HQ. MS should review this decision!

@xXchingXx 

Yep, we have the ENVY with i7-6700 AND an Omen with i7-6700 all tpm compliant; just the cpu.. Maybe shouldn't purchase hi specs if they dont last this long for upgrades. Come on MSoft.. work it out.

Celeron 6305 supported and i7 6700HQ not is strange.

I hope is a temporary problem.

Intel-Celeron-6305-1-80GHz-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-2-60GHz-cpubenchmark-net-by-PassMark-Software.png

LENOVO Ideapad-Y700-15 Core i7-6700HQ NVIDIA® GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 12gb ram//// I can't afford to buy a new laptop just to get Windows 11
I have the same laptop and installing Win11 while it is not supported will disable automatic updates and that will lead to security issues later.

Microsoft is joking around to exclude this fast CPU!! 4 cores with 2.59 GHz!! how come that do not meet min requirements?!!

Microsoft must fix this asap!

@tangr2035 

Same here. Hope they change that soon. It's a popular high end processor.