Need to update Toshiba Portege TPM from v1.2 to 2.0, but updates require old TAuthOwner and Password

Copper Contributor

I am a Windows Insider running all 3 releases of Windows 10 (Dev through current released Pro versions). A recent update informed me that my Toshiba Portege R30-A only had TPM 1.2 and can’t run Windows 11. I went to the Dynabook site (Toshiba support site) and downloaded the FW update to TPM 2.0. Running that update requires the 1.2 TPM AuthOwner and password to be given BEFORE the update will run. The TPM is enabled, but neither the AuthOwner nor Password have ever been set as far as I know.

I followed the instructions to Clear the TPM and reboot (I used the tpm.msc Console (Trusted Platform Module in Windows to “... clear the TPM to remove ownership and reset the TPM to factory defaults” -the only Action I could choose - and rebooted but I wasn’t asked to enter the new TPM 1.2 AuthOwner and Password.), but that didn’t fix the problem as I could login to Windows with my PIN. I found some PowerShell command examples in setting a new TPM AuthOwner and Password, but they all require the Old TPM AuthOwner and Password BEFORE updating to the new TPM Owner and Password.

How can I set the TPM 1.2 AuthOwner and Password without knowing what they are?

4 Replies
I ran into this problem too. Here is what you do: Windows set the AuthOwner password and then discards, which is more secure. You have to change a registry key in order for Windows to save the password. So change the registry key restart clear the tpm , restart and then you can run the update. If you then want to change registry back to defaults, do that and restart, clear tpm and restart. "Although the TPM owner password is not retained starting with Windows 10, version 1607, or Windows 11, you can change a default registry key to retain it. However, we strongly recommend that you do not make this change. To retain the TPM owner password, set the registry key 'HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\TPM' [REG_DWORD] 'OSManagedAuthLevel' to 4. The default value for this key is 2, and unless it is changed to 4 before the TPM is provisioned, the owner password will not be saved." from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/tpm/change-the-tpm-owner-pa...
@MMFJr Can you point me to were your found the tpm upgrade tool?

@Petrushka 

Here are the specifications for the upgrade I found: 

This version of TPM Firmware Update from Infineon supports the update from version(s) 4.32.879.0 and 4.33.949.0 to version 4.34.1011.0 of the TPM Firmware. If you need it, you can find it on their website.

Unfortunately, it only up grades the TPM v1.2 to a later version of TPM v1.2 not to version 2.0. If you have TPM v1.2, you can only change the TPM hardware itself to v2.0 if that is even possible. In my case that is impossible so I need to get another PC with TPM v2.0 already installed, e.g. buy a new PC.

@MMFJr Thanks for the info.  I figured as much so I guess I will stay with Windows 10 or switch to Linux.