My taskbar overflow is gone after latest update

Copper Contributor

I had an update today and now my taskbar overflow box is gone. How do I restore it? 

27 Replies

@outbackerdave 

Right click taskbar  taskbar settings, other system tray icons and enable what you want to show

Try open start and search for Command prompt or cmd as administrator and then type the following command:

sfc /scannow

Press enter and let it runs and tell us what is the result.

@outbackerdave 

I have the same problem.  The overflow up arrow is gone, and the taskbar "overflow corner" selection is also gone from settings.  I do see a "Hidden icon menu" selection in the taskbar "Other system tray icons", but toggling this does nothing.  If I select icons under it to on, those background app icons are permanently on the taskbar, not in the overflow section.  sfc /scannow is fine, rebooting does nothing.

I also have this problem Clean Boot did not solve anything
Known Issues in Latest Windows 11 Insider Preview Build:

After upgrading to Build 22610, the “Show hidden icons” flyout in the system tray may disappear completely for some Insiders, even though it shows as “on” under Settings > Personalization > Taskbar and “Other system tray icons”. As a workaround if you need access to the icons that would show in the “Show hidden icons” flyout, you can go right-click on taskbar to open the Taskbar settings page, navigate to the “Other system tray icons” and individuals toggle specific apps to “On” until the issue is resolved.

@Peter_Salczer I had the same issue and I noticed that the overflow button reappears after you logoff and login again on the account. Don't restart the PC just click on Start - the account pic - Sign out....then log in back and the "show hidden icons" button should be visible

Try open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and report this issue.
solved: Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22616

@Peter_Salczer Solved? How? I'm still having the same issue and tried everything listed here. It's simply gone. 

@outbackerdave 

I just updated to the latest build this evening, and now it's back.

@sireric1967 Yep, this also did it for me. So the question is: What broke to cause that to happen?

Did you manage to solve the issue after installing the latest update?
Windows Insider is under development and testing and such issues are expected.
However, the Windows team continually check reports and work on fixing those issues.

@Reza_Ameri Yes, the update fixed the issue.

Glad issue has been fixed.
While you are using Windows Insider it is important to share bugs and issues using the Feedback Hub app.
Note that Microsoft will review and investigate issues using automatic ways, but it doesn't detect all problems.

Signing out and back in solved the problem. @RapierXDA 

Thank you for letting us know.
Did not help my situation.

I am having this problem almost a year later. Under "Other system tray icons" the only option is a "Hidden icon menu" toggle. As sireric1967 reported, the toggle does nothing.

This is not an Insider issue, but with the regular update channel. > 2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5023706)