Look for the best PDF password recovery software for Windows PC?

Copper Contributor

Hello all,

I forgot the password of an old PDF document. I'm currently in need of a reliable PDF password recovery software so I can use it on my Windows 11 PC. I've come across a few options through my own research, but the result suggested by Google are awful. Most of the recommended tools are out of date or not working.

Additionally, I'd like to know if there are tools that offer a good balance between speed and accuracy. Some of the files I'll be working with are quite large, so efficiency is key. Free options are always welcome, but I'm also open to paid solutions if they offer significant advantages.

If you've had any positive experiences with any PDF password recovery software or have any tips for recovering passwords efficiently, please share your insights. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

15 Replies

You can try all the password combinations you can remember. There is no limitations and the file won't be locked or damaged. If it fails, then you should try some dedicated PDF password recovery software on your PC.

@VanceleekI am using Doc.PDF and it helped me recovered password from 3 PDF files that I forgot the password.

This is a powerful and reliable software designed to help users recover lost or forgotten passwords for PDF documents. Equipped with advanced decryption algorithms, this tool offers an efficient and user-friendly solution for unlocking PDF files, ensuring that important data remains accessible even when passwords are misplaced. It supports a wide range of PDF versions and employs multiple recovery methods, including Brute-force Attack, Brute-force with Mask Attack, and Dictionary Attack, to cater to various user needs and scenarios. Its intuitive interface makes it accessible to both novice and experienced users, providing a seamless experience in password recovery. is a powerful and reliable PDF password recovery tool designed to help users recover lost or forgotten passwords for PDF documents. Equipped with advanced decryption algorithms, this tool offers an efficient and user-friendly solution for unlocking PDF files.

This PDF Password Recovery utility supports a wide range of PDF versions and employs multiple recovery methods, including Brute-force Attack, Brute-force with Mask Attack, and Dictionary Attack, to cater to various user needs and scenarios. Its intuitive interface makes it accessible to both novice and experienced users.

@Vanceleek 

I had a similar problem before and needed to recover a forgotten PDF password. On my Windows 11 PC, I tried several software and eventually found a few decent options.

First, I tried a tool called PDFCrack, which is a free command-line-based tool that is great for those who don't mind using the command line. Although the interface is not that user-friendly, it does a pretty good job of recovering PDF passwords, especially for files with passwords that are not particularly complex.

Then, I also looked at some paid software, such as PDFGeeker PDF Password recovery. The user interface of this software is intuitive and supports batch processing of files, which is very helpful when I am dealing with multiple large files. Although it is paid, its efficiency and ease of operation make it worth it.

If you are looking for a tool that can balance speed and accuracy, I recommend trying the free PDFCrack first to see if it meets your needs. If you are dealing with more files or more complex passwords, you may want to consider paid solutions like PDFGeeker , as they usually provide more powerful features and a better user experience. 

@Vanceleek 

If you want to avoid using third-party PDF password recovery tools to recover or remove PDF passwords, you can try some basic methods, although the success rate of these methods may be limited by the strength of the file's protection.

Use Adobe Acrobat Pro:
If you have an Adobe Acrobat Pro subscription, you can try using it to open the PDF file. If the file's encryption is not particularly advanced, Acrobat may sometimes offer an option to remove the password after entering the wrong password several times. Of course, this is rare and depends on the file's security settings.

Contact the file author:
The most direct and legal method is to contact the creator or person responsible for the PDF file and ask them for the password or an unencrypted version. This is usually the most effective solution to the problem of forgotten passwords.

Check for backups:
Before you try to recover PDF password, check to see if you have an unencrypted version of the file as a backup. Sometimes there may be an earlier version or unencrypted copy of the file in an email attachment, cloud storage, or elsewhere.

These methods may not be as direct and effective as third-party software, but they provide a way to avoid using potentially unauthorized tools.

@Vanceleek 

I've been in a similar situation before, where I forgot the password to an important PDF file, which was really frustrating. Later, I tried a few methods and finally recover PDF password with Google Drive, which worked well. 

First, I uploaded the password-protected PDF file to my Google Drive. Then, I right-clicked the file and selected "Open with Google Docs." This process sometimes prompted me to enter the password, but in most cases, Google Docs opened and displayed the contents directly, which works well for some simple password-protected files.

Once the PDF file is open in Google Docs, I can select the "File" menu, then "Downloads", and then "PDF Document." This downloaded file is usually not password-protected. I think this method is super simple and does not require additional software, which is perfect for those who are not very tech-savvy.

Although this method is not always 100% effective, it is indeed a quick solution for some files, there is no need to select PDF password recovery tool. If you are as headache as I am about files that I forget PDF password, you might want to give this method a try, it may save you a lot of trouble!

@Vanceleek 

I have also encountered the situation of forgetting PDF passwords before, which gave me a headache at that time. Later, I found a command line PDF password recovery tool called PDFCrack, which really helped me. Let me share my experience.

At that time, I used PDFCrack on Windows 11. The first thing was to download and install this tool. Because it is a command line tool, it requires a little technical knowledge, but it is actually not that complicated.

1. I first downloaded the tool from PDFCrack's official website and extracted it to a folder.
  2. Press Win+R, type cmd, and then press Enter to open the command prompt.
  3. Use the cd command to enter the PDFCrack folder you just extracted, for example:
    cd C:\Users\MyUser\Downloads\pdfcrack-0.16
  4. Run PDFCrack by typing the following command, pointing it to the PDF file you want to crack:

pdfcrack -f "C:\path\to\your\file.pdf"

test.png

The tool will start trying to recover PDF password. It works by brute force, so it may take a long time, depending on the complexity of the password.

I remember waiting for a while, and PDFCrack finally found the password successfully. The whole process is a bit technical, but it is really effective. And because it is a free open source tool, it is also safe to use.

In my experience, the best PDF password recovery software will have a good balance of ease of use, success rate, compatibility, and cost. Be cautious when installing software on your PC.

@Vanceleek 

I've been in this situation before where I forgot my PDF password, and it was really annoying. Later, I found an online PDF password recovery tool called mallpdf, which really helped me. Let me share my experience.

I searched online for a long time, and many of the PDF password recovery tools found didn't work, until I tried mallpdf. It's an online service that doesn't require any software to download, and it's super easy to use.

1. I first opened the mallpdfwebsite and typed mallpdf.com in my browser.
  2. On the homepage, there are many PDF processing options, and I chose the "Unlock PDF" function.
  3. Click the "Select File" button and upload the PDF file that needs to be unlocked. You can also drag and drop the file directly into the upload area, which is a very simple step.
  4. Once the upload is complete, mallpdf will automatically process the file. After a few seconds, it will prompt that the unlock is successful, and then I can download the PDF file without password protection.

The whole process was very smooth and took only a few minutes. The best part is, I didn't need any technical background, I just followed the steps. Although mallpdf has some premium features that require payment, the basic PDF unlocker is free and works very well.

@Vanceleek LostMyPass is an online service dedicated to helping users recover lost or forgotten passwords for PDF documents. By leveraging advanced decryption techniques and cloud computing power, LostMyPass provides a convenient and efficient solution for unlocking password-protected PDF files without the need to install any software. You can direct run this PDF password recovery service from any web browser! It is now an attractive option for those looking for a fast and hassle-free way to regain access to their PDF files when the password is lost or forgotten.

@VanceleekMy recommendation is Advanced PDF Password Recovery by Elcomsoft if you had enough budget. It is one of the best PDF password recovery for Windows users. It is a professional-grade software designed to unlock password-protected PDF documents with ease and efficiency.

This powerful tool is designed to both individual users and corporate environments as it offers a comprehensive solution for recovering lost or forgotten passwords. It supports all versions of PDF files and employs a range of recovery techniques, including Brute-force Attack, Mask Attack, and Dictionary Attack, to ensure a high success rate in decrypting protected documents. The software’s advanced algorithms and multi-core CPU and GPU acceleration capabilities enable it to handle even the most complex passwords swiftly and effectively.

This one is so expensive! The professional edition is 99 USD. In fact, there are many free and cheaper PDF password recovery tool you can choose from, such as PDFCrack, lossmypass. You should try the cheap one first. If the password was not strong, then it only takes a few hours to recover the forgotten PDF password in a few hours on a decent computer.

PDFCrack is a powerful PDF recover password tool, it's essential to use it responsibly and understand its limitations before attempting to recover passwords. Always check your legal rights before using the software and take necessary precautions to avoid potential risks.

I've had times when PDFCrack just couldn't crack the code. It's like trying to guess the combination to a safe - sometimes you just gotta accept that you're not getting in.
LostMyPass claims to support a wide range of PDF versions and encryption methods, but I've had issues with certain files that didn't want to cooperate. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like some PDFs are more stubborn than others.
Adobe Acrobat Pro uses a brute-force attack to recover the password, which can take an eternity (or more) depending on the length and complexity of the password. And if you're dealing with a super-strong password, forget about it – you'll be waiting forever!