Latest Windows Insider Update Corrupts explorer.exe

Copper Contributor

(Currently writing this in my Fedora installation, since I can't access anything on my Windows partition right now)

Whenever I try to install the latest Windows Insider Update (Not sure what it's specifically called, I just know it's the latest in the beta branch), after the computer restarts, I always find myself in a black screen once I get past the lockscreen.

I can open Task Manager... but that's about it. Explorer.exe closes itself when I try manually opening it, it doesn't really seem like anything else could open either, and nothing I've found on Google has fixed the problem for me.

This problem also persists when I boot into Safe Mode, in fact, the only way I can get my PC back to a usable state is to uninstall the quality update, which does fix the issue, but the update gets applied right again after a few restarts.

4 Replies

@dp223171 Hi

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-insider/isos#in-place-upgrade-with-a-windows-insider-previ...

Please download ISO and update in place - this will fix corrupted files, write if it works for you?

:)

@A1 

Actually, I was able to just hide the update, system's working now, I'll just wait for the next one.

@dp223171 @A1
I've had the same issue with the last two updates 1028 and now 22623.1037. I did a rollback to 1022 to fix the issue the first time. However, I found that when booting into safe mode (before doing the rollback) that the reason explorer.exe wouldn't run was that Windows itself was detecting that explorer.exe had a potential stack overflow issue and so would not run it (this message only shows in safe mode not normal mode). Strangely I could run explorer (or a version of it?) by going to the old control panel and file browsing from there. Basically, everything was working bar not being able to get the desktop running. The ISO link is for an older version of Windows than the one I'm running. I can pause updates for a week, but thats not fun in the long run. The only thing I haven't managed to do is run the Feedback Hub in this mode to report and show the errors.

Hi @Superenigmatix44 

Thank you for the information.

Optional diagnostic data helps improve Windows, it's automatically passed so even the Feedback Hub app doesn't have to work, and Microsoft has real-time error information.

Best regards