Just joined Insiders program can't update at all. (0xc8000402)

Copper Contributor

Hi, I just joined the insiders program to try and flight test some features however I can't seem to download any updates I just get an error: "There were problems downloading some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this, try searching the web or contacting support for help. This error code might help: (0xc8000402)" after the download reaches 8-10%.  Every time.

I'm currently on version 21H2 build 19044.1586 which from what i understand is regular most up to date windows so why does the update jus stop is there an error with the update?  Is there somewhere I can download the update and then install it?

I'm really after build 21364 or higher because I am trying to use WSL GUI apps as discussed / shown here: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/the-initial-preview-of-gui-app-support-is-now-available-f...

6 Replies

@A1  Hey, I tried downloading an iso from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso which I got from the link you provided but the page just hangs on "Validating your request. This may take several minutes.  Do not refresh or select back, doing so will cancel the request" : shown here:

windl.jpg

I tried a couple times through out the day and I just leave the page after about 15 minutes because I figured that's enough time to wait for a website to start a download.

Any other places I can get this or other recommendations?

I tried switching between the dev and beta channels in settings but nothing, same error (shown below), starting to be really frustrating.

windl2.jpg

@_4rt_ 

Get started with the Windows Insider Program - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Docs

Have you completed these steps before?

Most often, it blocks a third-party antivirus in this way - analyze uninstalling it.

And you may even need to perform a clean installation of Windows to properly install the Insider Program version. 

I just tried "cleaning" my system using https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 because I don't want to loose all my data but still the same issue. I have no idea why this is occurring. I'm not wiping all my data to try some "features" that's just dumb.

@_4rt_ 

I understand, but when configuring a clean reinstallation of Windows10 or Windows11 you need to mark what is to remain -> it is necessary to select NOTHING - if you leave applications and personal files in the settings, it will definitely be an error.
You have apps installed with the highest privileges and this will prevent you from installing the Insider program - this is a common problem
Do not install the Insider Program on the computer you are working on and you need a stable system!

Windows update (for windows 11) download error 0xc8000402 - Microsoft Community

Re: Problem Upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 Insider Dev Channel - Microsoft Tech Community

I would not join since April MS has done away with the BETA channel and you can no longer get stable builds as both channels now only get DEV builds and they are unstable and unreliable my advice is don't join I was a member for a long time but left when MS ruined the program as have many others..