Issue with WSL Installation on Windows 11 Insider Program 24H2

Copper Contributor

error.pngI am encountering an issue while trying to install WSL on my Windows 11 Insider Program 24H2. The installation process fails with the following error message:

```
Installing, this may take a few minutes...
WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80070003
Error: 0x80070003 The system cannot find the path specified.

Press any key to continue...
```

This problem started after I accidentally deleted the WSL folder from the Program Files directory. Since then, I have been unable to install WSL (Ubuntu) on my system.

Could someone please guide me on how to resolve this issue?

Thank you in advance for your help!

7 Replies
It might be broken due to Insider Build.
Try running netsh winsock reset as an Administrator, reboot the system, then run as a normal user wsl --update and wsl --install
Install the MSI for the current preview release or post a screenshot of the error within Event Log for the log Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Operational. If the MSI does it work, report the issue to Microsoft, and downgrade to 23H2. This might require reinstalling Windows since you are on an Insider Preview build.
Error 0x80070003 typically indicates that the operation was aborted due to an I/O error or an invalid input. When you see this error with WSLRegisterDistribution, it's likely related to a problem with the WSL setup or configuration.
How to reinstall WSL on Windows 11?

# list all installed distros
wsl -l -v
# destroy distros
wsl --unregister Ubuntu
wsl --unregister Debian # and so on

This is the solution to reinstall WSL on Windows 11. Just did it two weeks ago.