Insider Preview Build 10.0.17763 rs5 Broke Every Windows Apps + Start Menu and Action Center

Copper Contributor

Hello, I have just installed the latest Windows 10 Insider Build (almost ring) and now the start menu, info center, settings etc. are no longer working for me. When I create another account through Powershell, however, my main account is not. Have already tried everything on the Internet was how to fix it with the Start menu. I also can not go back to the previous version. Can someone possibly help me with the problem?

Best regards

Windows 10 Build 17758 (RS5)

2 Replies

Hi Mirel,

I had the quasi same issue with the last Insider release (17763) : start menu and notification center didn't work after installation but Windows app worked without problem.

To debbug start menu and notification center, I have followed these steps :

1) Run a administrator command line prompt :

Ctrl+Shift+Esc > File > Run new task

- Type"cmd" (whithout double quotes), check "Create this task with administrative privileges" and press Enter

2) On the command line prompt, type "sfc /scannow" (without double quotes) and press enter.

3) After the execution, test if your start menu and notification center work fine.

4) If not, execute the next command (without double quotes) on the command line prompt : "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

5) After the execution, test if your start menu and notification center work fine.

6) If not, re-execute the command "sfc /scannow" (without double quotes).

7) And for me, tadaaa, start menu and notification center were repaired successfully !

If after all these steps, you still have your issue, there is a final step to execute. You can see it on the link I put on source.

Best regards ;)

Source : https://www.techadvisor.co.uk

Thanks.. I was having the same problem.  The start menu, Cortana, Edge, and the Settings apps were not working.  These steps seems to have fixed them.