IIS not available on Windows 11 ARM Preview

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I just installed Windows 11 ARM Preview on my Macbook Pro (M1 chipset) where I want to install Internet Information Server (IIS) but option is not available. 

Can i know any version of windows 10 or 11 that can be installed on M1 where I can have full windows features like IIS , Sql Server.

Urgently waiting for reply.

Regards

Zafar Ullah

24 Replies
Were you able to figure this out? I'm running into the same issue.
This is not a currently supported scenario.

-Eddie
Microsoft should really prioritize this... More and more devs are upgrading to Macbook Pro's with M1 chips, and that includes .NET devs. Switching to inferior Windows laptops isn't a good solution. With Parallels and Windows 11 for ARM preview, Visual Studio and SSMS run fine. The only blocker that I've run into this, not being able to install IIS.

@justintoth unfortunately there is no solution for IIS in preview version, also this preview version is not reliable for development actually as Microsoft itself is working on it and we may have surprises.

No doubt M1 chipset performance is way more than Intel base but I have to go back to intel so that can work on a registered and reliable windows with IIS etc available.

@justintoth How did you get SSMS installed and running under Windows 11 ARM preview? It keeps on getting me error during the installation.

@Wowotoe No errors here... I'm using v18.10.

@justintoth You mentioned no errors - I have the release version of Windows 11 running on parallels on a M1 mac. Any idea how to install IIS?

@ryanreid22 There is no 'release version' of Win 11 for ARM. Only Insider Preview, which is like beta testing version. But Windows officially announced that there is/will no support for ARM CPUs in near future. Not until Microsoft/Qualcomm deal ended. I think I saw it somewhere that someone says IIS is not supported on ARM. But maybe you can try the Docker and see if there is alternative for web server.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)  Apple M1 Pro

Running Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2
OS build 22000.376
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.376.0

on Parallels Version 17.1.1 (51537): Processor Apple Silicon 3.20 GHz (4 processors) Installed RAM 8.00 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, ARM-based processor

Everything except IIS installs and runs fine: VS 2022, VS code and SSMS 18.10

@Pernille-EskeboPlease address this for us quickly

We need IIS on Windows 11 ARM

Hello, Currently the Windows 11 ARM is not supported to run on M1 chips. Win11 ARM only supported by Microsoft to run on certain Qualcomm ARM chips.
Just dropping by to see if a solution for this has come out. Are we waiting for IIS support yet?

Today is the day!!! Microsoft finally came through and delivered IIS support on the Windows 11 *Preview* version for ARM, build 22563.1. We can now fully develop .NET / SQL Server applications on newer Macbook Pro's with M1 chips. Just check for Windows updates in the Preview channel, then after updating and rebooting, you will see the familiar IIS options in the Turn Windows Features On / Off dialog.

@justin_toth thanks for the amazing news 

What is our source and how do we install it ?

@ShereefMarzoukDaySmart On Windows 11 preview for ARM, ensure your windows update channel is set to Preview. Then check for updates, and you should see the new update. After that installs you can reboot windows. Then open the turn windows features on or off dialog and you will see checkboxes for IIS.

I do have it installed. I Joined insider and set my channel do Dev (if I remember correctly as this was late yesterday night when I saw your post in parallels forum) then I have been checking for updates since but no luck :\

@ShereefMarzoukDaySmart Here are some screenshots, in case it helps... 

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 2.44.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-02 at 2.44.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-02 at 2.44.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-02 at 2.45.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-02 at 2.45.11 PM.png

I changed my insider channel to dev now I see and update I am downloading it thanks!

Thanks so much it worked

Downloading IIS

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 2.25.45 PM.png

@justin_tothgreat!! Thanks for the update!