I'm not receiving any windows updates

Copper Contributor

Hello. I became a windows11 beta insider 4 months ago, and one month ago i've got an update which locked me out of my PC. Like it was displaying date and time , but no matter what i've pressed there was no response. I've tried with an internal and external keyboard, and it turned out only mouse was working. So I had no choice and resetted it with an option to keep my data because I didn't have a backup. It removed all apps so i've reinstalled them, and installed all drivers, but then I noticed I've stopped getting all but security intelligence updates. When I went to windows insider program it was showing something like this: A newer build is available in Windows Update. Not seeing a new build? Troubleshoot Insider builds. Well. I was really pissed off because I've reset my pc and spend so much time on getting everything back, and now other things are happening. I've even downloaded an .iso with the latest insider build present at that time, but still, no **bleep** updates. I've decided I'll get the newest 22h2 on 20th september and sign off from insider. I even ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and sfc /scannow but it didn't fix my issue. Was even desperate enough to run CCleaner and fix my registry, and offcourse I ran windows update troubleshooter many times. Then I went to services.msc and found this: WaaSMedicSvc; <Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 2 > ; Manual; Local System. So this is that windows update medic service which is failing but i'm not sure why, and when i click on details in windows update troubleshooter it shows this: The troubleshooter made some changes to your system. Try attempting the task you were trying to do before. Problems found: Check for Windows Update issues  Detected.
Detection details
Expand
Informational
IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates
IsPostback: False
Informational
WaaSMedicService
Issue found by:BinaryHealthPlugin;DynamicProtectionPlugin
Informational
IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates
IsPostback: True
Informational
Service Status
Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException
Informational
Service Status
Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException
Collection information
Computer Name:
POTATO-LEGION
Windows Version:
Architecture:
x64
Time:
Saturday, September 10, 2022 3:03:58 PM

My question is, do i really have to clean install windows again? Or just installing 22h2 when it arrives will fix my problem?
Thanks in advance.
PS. I'm blind, so can't post screenshots.

3 Replies

@VIPPotato 

we have the exact same problem and I'm tired of trying many ways to solve it but none of the solutions I've gotten to date. I hope there is someone who can help with this matter. thank you

reinstalling windows won't solve the problem, I've tried it several times but couldn't fix it
here's what I did.
Deleted the hanging build update (even though it will show that it's successfully installed, it's not). Downgrade from Beta to Release Preview. Pause updates and reboot. Then resume updates (which will be the latest release preview version) and you should be good to go. In all the years I've been doing this Insider program, I've only had this update issue twice. Last time, I went through a painful reinstall. Now, I'll do this as a holding pattern till MS has a more stable beta. From what I've read. this has something to do with this version not finding vital data from your current build.....Good luck!