How to let windows 11 "never combine taskbar buttons"?

Bronze Contributor

How to let windows 11 "never combine taskbar buttons"?

1,317 Replies
Worse. I think they just fouled up. Not very inspiring.
I highly doubt it. Gates would have bought this from the developer and made the guy rich. Because good code is good code and if someone else wrote good code, Gates was smart enough to buy it and use it as a starting point.

FIX IT!
Maybe you have hit upon why?
Gates has no involvement with Windows 11 and has not been on the board of MS for a long time.

@huali1405 

To let Windows 11 "never combine taskbar buttons," follow these steps:

1. Right-click on an empty area of the taskbar.
  2. Select "Taskbar settings" from the menu that appears.
  3. Scroll down to the "Combine taskbar buttons" section.
  4. Select "Never" from the dropdown menu.
  5. Close the Settings window.

Once you complete these steps, Windows 11 will never combine taskbar buttons. Each open application will have its own button on the taskbar, making it easier to switch between applications.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but you've just described how to accomplish that in Windows 10. Ten as in 10 as in 2x5=10.

At the present time, there is no such option in Windows 11. Eleven, as in, 7-11, but 11 not 7.

There wouldn't be hundreds of messages in here if your suggestion worked for Windows 11.
Please everyone, use this link to microsoft feedback hub and if you haven't upvoted this feedback already please do it today. The link will ask you to allow it to open the feedback hub which is part of windows.
https://insider.windows.com/en-us/feedbackhub/fb?contextid=215&feedbackid=70fc827b-26fd-48f7-8853-af...
If you do not trust this link, I understand, please just go to your taskbar setting and click feedback hub enter taskbar never combine in the search and this feedback should be on top. Upvote this one as it has over 34,000 upvotes and the more it gets the better.
Get everyone you know to upvote it.

@huali1405 - You do realize that your suggestion instructions are not for Win 11?

@Deleted 

@huali1405 seriously Microsoft whiskey tango foxtrot???? Who thot it was a good idea and more importantly who signed up on it?

Dealbreaker for me, no windows 11 for me till this basic functionality is back.

You have the correct terminology: "basic funtionality"

It's unacceptable that Microsoft took away the "never combine taskbar" ability with Windows 11. It's impossible for folks to work efficiently, especially for those who have multiple instances of the same program open across multiple monitors (Excel, Word, Edge, etc). 

Absolutely correct and if possible you should switch to WPS office which has its own internal tabs.
Hit MS where it hurts, do not buy their products or pay for updates to the new version.

@huali1405 

Hi

Windows - Microsoft Q&A

This is a recommended space for asking technical questions - there you can get an answer from Microsoft engineers (maybe it's worth asking this question there?)

Maybe it can be clarified?

Thank you - we are waiting for your reply:

When will "never combine taskbar icons" be returned to Windows 11? - Microsoft Q&A

This is the optimistic answer:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/03/16/windows-11s-never-combine-taskbar-icons-feature-is-coming-i....

Another patch Tuesday has passed and the option to never combine is still not here. So disappointed. 

Hi @ceantuco 

Don't really expect this feature to come back like this – only an annual update can fix it!

Fellow label-lovers, rejoice!
It took 20 months and one person who works in the IT dpt of the org with Premium MS Support to get a replacement SL5 laptop with Win11 to achieve some reaction from MS - today I was informed that my complaint was transferred to Windows team person and I will be contacted some time soon.
I will be raising the label view and the option to have those labels on the screen where the app is open. I will also mention how Win11 start menu is a downgraded mess compared to Win10 where you can group your shortcuts, resize them, etc.
We're few, but we're strong! :)
In the meantime, I use ExplorerPatcher from github https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher
You can make both the taskbar and start menu to behave like in Win10 with it. Unfortunately, you can't pin all the apps you could in Win10, but still a workaround.
Looks like something is finally moving, I got this back from Microsoft Q&A:

From; Wesley Li-MSFT
Hello Thank you for posting in our Q&A forum. Microsoft is working on bringing back the ability to ungroup taskbar icons/items or buttons. With this feature, you can restore the classic Windows 10 behavior where the same app is not grouped under one icon. This feature is coming in the fall. https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/03/16/windows-11s-never-combine-taskbar-icons-feature-is-coming-i....

Keep on liking everyone!!

@NickP2020 Hi, 

Thank you all, it seems that there is no Microsoft space where competent employees will respond to our requests!

Greetings Windows Team and Windows 11 developers.

We ask for real information on this topic, which has touched so many users.

I'm very sorry everyone, but the information that this feature will return in autumn 2023 is total nonsense!

So far in insider versions - does not exist - only so you can make changes that are implemented into the stable version of Windows11.

Finally, thanks for the update. I will use Win 11 once that function has been confirmed.
The article you have posted a link to has no official status in fact if you look at the bottom of the page it clearly says "© 2023 Windows Latest | Not associated with Microsoft" so what we have is someone saying they have been told by someone they say is in Microsoft. There is no name or posting of the actual reply.
I hope it is correct, but come Autumn I wouldn't start holding my breath.

This also brings us back to the question, why will Microsoft directly engage with it's customers in regards to functionality of Windows. Tis would be a chance for them to actually find out what we want the taskbar to do. -- I would like the taskbar icons to not only be ungrouped but also able to be moved anywhere on the taskbar independently and allow the order to be changed on the taskbar, like you can with browser tabs. I was able to do this with "Taskbar Tweaker" but that app is not being updated for Win 11 due to the Taskbar changes.

The odd thing is that if you use tabs in File Explorer you can drag the tabs to change the order. The same as you can in Notepad and in WPS office for Word, Excel and PDF docs.

Currently, although I amusing Start 11 to uncombine Taskbar Icons I have only one of each Icon open on the Taskbar, but have a number of Tabs open in different Apps.