hello im having allot of problems with virtual machines on windows 11

Copper Contributor

hello I'm having a lot of problems with virtual machines on windows 11

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎7/‎24/‎2021
OS build 22000.160
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.160.0

and the problem I'm having is if I get Kali Linux from the Microsoft store I open it up and I get an error message Installing, this may take a few minutes...
WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102
Error: 0x80370102 The virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed.

and this only started happening to me recently when I updated to the new version of Windows 11 and yes I went to my bios and enabled virtualization technology and also I enabled hyper v in windows features and I get a similar error in Oracle VM VirtualBox when I try to start a virtual machine in the virtual box it says 

WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is FALSE! Make sure you have enabled the 'Windows Hypervisor Platform' feature. (VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE).

AMD-V is not available (VERR_SVM_NO_SVM

and yes I did install Windows Subsystem for Linux 

so I'm not sure what to do anyone have any suggestions ? (:

2 Replies

@PickleRick 

I had the same issue, manage to fix it this by setting wsl version to 1 and then trying to complete the WSL installation. This seemed to work

wsl --set-default-version 1

You can then change the default to version 2 after the sucessfull installation

@allan_remu my experience with Windows and wsl is with Ubuntu and works very well, but you have to be careful with the versions, I would like to suggest Windows10-Ubuntu20 and Windows11-Ubuntu21.

Have a nice day.