Has a patch been put out to allows 7th generation processors to upgrade to Windows 11?

Copper Contributor

I read some information on a thread on here that said that 7th generation processors weren't going to be able to be upgraded to Windows 11 because of the "Meltdown" vulnerability.  The last update to the thread was from 2021.  Does anyone know if there is going to be a patch or something available to upgrade my i7 7500u to Windows 11?  I have an i7 8500u that is compatible.  It's the same laptop, the Spectre x360.  But the 7th gen still says incompatible.  Thanks!

3 Replies

Hi @StenoChris 

It is the processor architecture that decides in this case, Microsoft is not the only partner that decides - also Intel and partners, so it would have to be a decision and consultation of many parties, but currently no additional processors have been introduced to the list.

@StenoChris 

Hi

Windows processor requirements Windows 11 supported Intel processors | Microsoft Docs

Unfortunately, the 7th generation Intel -> processors are still not compatible with Windows 11, this is the official documentation

Andrzej1_0-1662659371491.png

I know it's not on the supported list, but the other thread spoke of a patch that might be released to make it compatible.