SOLVED

[FIXED] Can't Restart or Shut down my PC- Windows 10 insider build 18999 Fast Ring

MVP

UPDATE 10/18: We have released 20H1 Build 19002.1002, which includes a fix for the issue causing some devices to get stuck during shutdown or restart.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/10/17/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-1...

After upgrading to 18999 from 18995, I can't restart my computer or shut it down anymore. when I attempt to do any of them, the computer gets stuck forever in either "shutting down" or "restarting" state with the loading icon circling.

also the CPU usage goes up and I can tell it by reading the CPU temp number showin on my motherboard and CPU fans getting loud.

I have to hard reset or hard shut down by either pressing the reset button on my case or holding the power button.

the scary part is that it's not listen under the known issues in here:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/10/08/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-1...

anyone else having the same problem?

my specs:

i7 7700K

16GB RAM DDR4 3200Mhz

IGPU graphic card

SSD M.2

Feedback to upvote:

https://aka.ms/AA67uo7

107 Replies

@Renlei I have OneDrive disabled at launch, but that doesn't solve the problem.

@nikitat1260

Not ONLY disable One Drive at startup but ALSO disabled it entirely.  

@Renlei 

@Renlei wrote:

@nikitat1260

Not ONLY disable One Drive at startup but ALSO disabled it entirely.  

Well in that case I think I'm gonna wait for the next build to fix the issue (coming in 2 days approx) cause disabling OneDrive completely would mess up my file sync and other applications that need them.

@HotCakeX 

Yess, I believe wait for the next build is very best option. However for me this issue is no longer there. But it is annoying and whitchcraft that One Drive affects my system and logically must be the reason also to some other systems. Good luck!!

I disabled OneDrive in setting so It does Start on Windows startup. You could always start OneDrive by clicking on OnDrive in Start Menu and exit it before Shuting Down or Restarting.

@paulhrrsn3 

@paulhrrsn3 wrote:

I disabled OneDrive in setting so It does Start on Windows startup. You could always start OneDrive by clicking on OnDrive in Start Menu and exit it before Shuting Down or Restarting.

Hi,

did it fix your restart or shut down issue?

@HotCakeXFound a kind of work around. It works on my laptop. Go into the Power & Sleep settings; go to Additional Settings; choose what the Power Buttons Do. Change the Power Button to SHUT DOWN and save. It might take a little of time to actually shutdown after using the power button, but, it is far less time than it was taking before I changed this setting. Just thought you might like to know.

Thank you, so the shut down operation initiated by the physical power button had no problem for you but when initiating shut down operation from the Start menu, it would hang?

@HotCakeX  It took LESS longer to shutdown. But it shutdown. Didn't have to force anything. And no errors when restarting.

@Renlei 

This fix worked for me. Before shutting down I exited one drive, and my comp shutdown properly. Thanks for that.

By the way I tried first signing out of Windows and then shutting down, it went well without any problem.
I have the same problem. When I revert back to 18995 everything is fine.

@Mitchwi3 This is a known issue that we have added to the flight notes (https://aka.ms/wip18999).  We have identified the root cause and a fix will be coming soon.  The issue is random as to when and where it occurs.  A lot of folks have been posting various workarounds and fixes, but I can assure you that none of them will resolve the issue.  The only workaround that I have been able to repro 100% of the time is running either shutdown /s /t 0 /f or shutdown /r /t 0 /f from an elevated command prompt.  Even this has some randomness to the amount of time it takes.  I've seen it happen in 20 seconds, and also in 8 minutes.

@Eddie Leonard 

Yess, you are quit right: "The issue is random as to when and where it occurs". I'd expierenced this as well while at a certain moment shutting down and reboot went perfect after disabling One Drive at another moment (while One Drive was disabled) all of a sudden the OS repeated failing to shut down and reboot. So it is a wider/deeper problem. I am looking forward for the fix! 

Thanks

René

I hope we get the next insider build soon, it's been 9 days since the last build (which didn't add much new features), the normal cycle is usually every 7 days

@HotCakeX 

New insider build now released on fast ring 19002.1, but hasn't solved it for me,

Workarounds published here: http://aka.ms/18999restart

@Iain Fielding We were hoping to get the fix into this week's flight, but it didn't make it in time.  It's looking like it should be in the next one.

-Eddie

The easiest workaround I use is to first sign out of my user account and then turn off my PC.
at that point even if the shut down process malfunctions, I won't lose anything because I've signed out of everything already. but using this workaround has Never malfunctioned so far.