SOLVED

[FIXED] Anyone else having OneDrive high CPU usage problem after upgrading to build 19564?

MVP

gdgfdg.png

Feedback on Feedback hub app:

https://aka.ms/AA7bbm6

please add more details to it. thank you

Tried restarting my computer 2 times already with 5/6 hours intervals. I let it run like that for hours, hoping it will finish whatever it is doing but nope, it always stays like that.

anyone else having this issue on the same exact build?

37 Replies

@HotCakeX Yes, we have received some reports of this issue, and are looking into it.  If you could please file feedback in Feedback Hub and share the link with me, I will be sure it's added to the others.

-Eddie

@HotCakeX 

Well, not only that. OneDrive started multiple copies, uses nearly all of the CPU, but also, it doesn't work.

I've no access to cloud files, It can't be uninstalled, or older version installed.

I've got to roll-back this build, I suppose.

AndrewSienx_0-1581628263663.png

@Eddie Leonard @AndrewSienx 

Feedback on Feedback hub app

please add more details to it. thank you

Have you tried reinstalling OneDrive?

@HotCakeX I've tried re-installation and it doesn't work. I then installed an earlier build of OneDrive and that worked UNTIL it decided to automatically upgrade itself to the latest version. The latest version of OneDrive is the issue here. It loads into memory, leans on the CPU but does not operate it's sync functions nor does it show in the task-bar tray. This is happening on both my PC's. 

@HotCakeX 

Yes, a few times, but it is not possible to make it work here.

If I try to load a common downloaded version, it states, that I have newer already and I have to uninstall it before.

But uninstall just doesn't work. There are two scenarios:

1. Nothing happens - I just click at the Uninstall button and nothing happens. But after some restarts...

2. I've got alert, that there is no onedrivesetup.exe in some locations. I copied the old onedrivesetup.exe there and it worked with uninstall.

I changed nothing because downloaded setup installs onedrive, but it doesn't work again.

Worse after restoration to the previous build, onedrive still doesn't work. Uff.

Here at least the trick with providing onedrivesetup.exe to uninstall works and downloaded setup installs working onedrive.

So, on the new build, one drive is dead - both versions new (from the new build) and old (from download).

About this strange location, from which Uninstall tried to start onedrivesetup.exe.

Once that was c:\Program Files (x86)\Miscrosoft OneDrive\19.232.1124.0005\

But the second time I installed a new build, that was C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\19.232.1124.0005_1

@AndrewSienx I uninstalled mine with Revo Uninstaller Pro which usually allows the app's uninstaller to work and then uninstalls the leftovers in the registry and file system. But this time OneDrive's uninstaller didn't work for me either so I allowed Revo to do the cleanup. This allowed me to reinstall an older version on OneDrive. So this tells me it's not the windows build at fault but the latest version of OneDrive. Anyway, I'm going to revert to the previous build as I had enough fun with this one.

I have the same problem with OneDrive pulling a lot of CPU and not working, getting up the following error message cloud provider is not running. I've done reset by OneDrive, it didn't help. Have also tried reinstalling and installing an older version but it unfortunately does not help.

@HotCakeX 

Same things and over there....

@dimman24 

@dimman24 wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Same things and over there....

Thanks, please add a problem repro to that feedback, since upvotes are removed, thats the only thing we can do now..

@jetsk1 

@jetsk1 wrote:

@HotCakeX I've tried re-installation and it doesn't work. I then installed an earlier build of OneDrive and that worked UNTIL it decided to automatically upgrade itself to the latest version. The latest version of OneDrive is the issue here. It loads into memory, leans on the CPU but does not operate it's sync functions nor does it show in the task-bar tray. This is happening on both my PC's. 

So latest version of OneDrive is incompatible with the latest version of Windows insider fast ring.

I'm also using OneDrive insider

@Magnus Broman 

Spoiler

@Magnus Broman wrote:

I have the same problem with OneDrive pulling a lot of CPU and not working, getting up the following error message cloud provider is not running. I've done reset by OneDrive, it didn't help. Have also tried reinstalling and installing an older version but it unfortunately does not help.

Hi, thank you, please add the same info to the feedback, hopefully they will make a collection of it and track all of them simultaneously

@jetsk1 

Spoiler

@jetsk1 wrote:

@AndrewSienx I uninstalled mine with Revo Uninstaller Pro which usually allows the app's uninstaller to work and then uninstalls the leftovers in the registry and file system. But this time OneDrive's uninstaller didn't work for me either so I allowed Revo to do the cleanup. This allowed me to reinstall an older version on OneDrive. So this tells me it's not the windows build at fault but the latest version of OneDrive. Anyway, I'm going to revert to the previous build as I had enough fun with this one.

If it's not the latest Windows insider build then how come the problem started happening for all of us AFTER installing the latest Windows insider build?

@AndrewSienx 

Spoiler

@AndrewSienx wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Yes, a few times, but it is not possible to make it work here.

If I try to load a common downloaded version, it states, that I have newer already and I have to uninstall it before.

But uninstall just doesn't work. There are two scenarios:

1. Nothing happens - I just click at the Uninstall button and nothing happens. But after some restarts...

2. I've got alert, that there is no onedrivesetup.exe in some locations. I copied the old onedrivesetup.exe there and it worked with uninstall.

I changed nothing because downloaded setup installs onedrive, but it doesn't work again.

Worse after restoration to the previous build, onedrive still doesn't work. Uff.

Here at least the trick with providing onedrivesetup.exe to uninstall works and downloaded setup installs working onedrive.

So, on the new build, one drive is dead - both versions new (from the new build) and old (from download).

About this strange location, from which Uninstall tried to start onedrivesetup.exe.

Once that was c:\Program Files (x86)\Miscrosoft OneDrive\19.232.1124.0005\

But the second time I installed a new build, that was C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\19.232.1124.0005_1

Thanks, I won't bother trying to uninstall it then, be careful though, check your recycle bin in OneDrive web version and see if there is anything in there that is not supposed to be.

I'm saying that because this bug and out of sync files might make OneDrive think you are deleting something.

I have put all of my important files on my OneDrive (+100GB) because I'm using Windows Insider and so putting my files on my OneDrive helps me not worry about Windows messing with my local files, or in case Windows doesn't boot up etc.

Anyway I hope they add this problem to the list of known issues at least

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/02/12/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-1...

@HotCakeX 

Appreciate your (and others) feedback on this.  We are investigating and appreciate your patience.

-Eddie

Thank you, I appreciate you back :)

@HotCakeX 

same here, after upgrading to 19564 OneDrive Icon within tasktray disappeared and app not working properly. Status Icons in OneDrive Folder disappear after a while. several instances running at same time. very high cpu load. uninstall and reinstall different Setup versions work but after a few Always same issues as described.

as someone who relies heavily on OneDrive, I had to switch rings, really hope it gets fixed on next update

@HotCakeX Are you not able to use OneDrive on the web to access files?  You can kill the process via Task Manager to stop the CPU usage.  Worse case scenario, you could roll back to the previous build and pause updates. 

-Eddie

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX @Eddie Leonard @AndrewSienx @jetsk1 @Magnus Broman @dimman24 @tooth1971 @BenC @Matteox @E-pgt 

The problem is solved in the today's Windows insider fast ring build 19569

We fixed an issue resulting in OneDrive not working and using an unexpectedly high amount of CPU for some Insiders on the previous build.

More info: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/02/20/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-1...

View solution in original post