explorer.exe instability

Copper Contributor

So this is genuinely a question about the current release stability vs. my own setup. For context, I'm running build 22593.

Every hour or so, explorer.exe just crashes. It takes down all the related UI including the taskbar, window management and file explorer.

This crash is normally tied to some behavior with file explorer navigation or heavy memory usage (ex. Photoshop + Excel PowerQuery). It's gotten to the point where I have a macro to open a script and run "start explorer.exe", which seems to always work; restoring everything within a few seconds.

I ask since I use a heavy amount of business required cloud syncs (OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox). I've spotted some earlier posts discussing context menu crashing, and while that used to be an issue it doesn't seem to be the cause of these latest problems.

Is this a known build issue? Or known conflict with heavy file-management add-ons?

Update: 

Seems to be related to file explorer actions (copying/cutting/deleting/renaming). Given that I often modify and rename from the Open/Save menu, I didn't clock it as Windows File Explorer related.

0 Replies