Easy way to remove background music from a song?

Copper Contributor

Hi tech experts,

I'm currently working on a project where I need to isolate the vocals from a song by removing the background music. I've heard there are various methods and tools that can achieve this, but I'm not sure which ones are the most effective and user-friendly.

Can anyone recommend the best software or online tools for removing background music from a song? Additionally, if there are any step-by-step guides or tutorials that you could point me to, that would be incredibly helpful.

14 Replies

I am using AudioKies and it has a built-in feature (Vocals Extractor) to remove background music from song. Very easy to get started and it is an all-in-one audio file converter and editor. Here is the step-by-step guide to help you remove background music from imported songs.

0240702-150211.png

Removing background music from a song can be a challenging task, you can use Adobe Audition. As a professional audio editing software that offers advanced noise reduction and spectral repair features. It's a powerful tool, but has a steeper learning curve.

@Vanoverill Be careful with online tools, especially the audio file is large and private. Those online tools will keep a local copy of the uploaded files and sometimes the output music have noise in it. So it is not a good option to remove background music from a song with online service. Instead, try a dedicated vocal remover software.

@Vanoverill I suggest giving a try on Audacity,  a free, open-source audio editing software that offers various tools for manipulating audio files, including removing background music. While it may require a bit of learning, it’s a powerful tool for those looking for a cost-effective solution.

1. Open Audacity and import the song by selecting "File" > "Import" > "Audio."
  2. Highlight the track, then go to "Effect" > "Vocal Reduction and Isolation."
  3. Choose the "Remove Center" option and adjust the settings as needed.
  4. Once the background music is minimized, export the file by selecting "File" > "Export" > "Export as MP3" or your preferred format.

This is a free way to remove background music from song. You can repeat the process if you have more than one songs to separate vocals from song.

Online tools can be convenient, but they often come with risks, especially when dealing with large and private audio files. It's great that you're cautious about preserving your privacy and maintaining the quality of your audio files.
I recommend using iZotope RX, this is a comprehensive audio repair and restoration tool that includes a vocal removal background music from a song.

@Vanoverill AudioKies is a powerful audio processing tool designed to handle various audio tasks, including removing background music from songs. It's user-friendly and delivers high-quality results. Now it is a very popular choice for both beginners and professionals. I recommend downloading the software and starting your own journey.

Audacity's built-in vocal detection algorithm is not as advanced as those found in dedicated vocal removers like Adobe Audition or iZotope RX. This can lead to inaccurate vocal detection and removal.
iZotope RX is designed for audio repair and restoration, not specifically for vocal isolation. While it can help remove background music from a song, it may not always isolate the vocals perfectly.

I disagree with it. For someone looking to quickly and easily remove background music from a song, the learning curve can be quite steep with iZotope RX. This means it is not a good recommendation for beginners or those unfamiliar with audio editing. The price ($299.00) is expensive as well.

In addition, iZotope RX's advanced algorithms can be resource-intensive. It leads to longer processing times. This can be a drawback for users who need quick results or who are working with multiple tracks and require efficient processing.

+1 for Audacity. It is an open-source audio editing software that can be used to remove background music from a song. It's a user-friendly tool with a simple interface.

Steps to remove background music from song:

1. Download and install Audacity on your computer.
2. Open Audacity and import the song you want to edit by going to "File" > "Open" and selecting the song file.
3. Play the song and identify the section where you want to remove the background music. You can do this by listening carefully or using the "Play" button in Audacity.
4. Select the section of the song by clicking and dragging your mouse over the area where you want to remove the background music. Right-click on the selected area and choose "Silence" > "Silence Audio".
5. Repeat step 4 for each section of the song where you want to remove the background music.
6. Save the edited song by going to "File" > "Export" and selecting a format (such as MP3).

@Vanoverill There are several online audio editors that allow you to remove background music from a song without downloading any software. One popular option is Online Audio Editor.

1. Go to Online Audio Editor website and upload your song file by clicking on "Upload File".
  2. Wait for the file to upload and then select the section of the song where you want to remove the background music by clicking on it.
  3. Click on the "Remove Noise" button and select "Background Music".
  4. Adjust the settings as needed to fine-tune the noise reduction.
  5. Click on "Apply" to apply the changes.
  6. Download your edited file by clicking on "Download".

Remember, these solutions may not always completely remove all background music, especially if it's deeply embedded in the original recording. However, they can help reduce its volume or eliminate it in many cases.

Some things you need to know when you use AudioKies to remove background music from a song.
Removing background music can lead to a loss of audio quality, as the tool may not always be able to accurately identify and remove the background noise.

I do not support using Online audio editors to remove background music from a song. Online audio editors often have limited editing tools and features compared to professional audio editing software, which can make it more difficult to achieve high-quality results. It may compress the audio files, which can result in a loss of quality, especially if you're working with high-quality source material.