Defualt apps

Copper Contributor

How to change default app for all file types? If there is not any option to change default app for all file types please add it

5 Replies
Go Start>>Apps>>Default Apps>>Related settings. (Scroll down past all your installed apps to find these settings)

@davequail 

I think you didn't understand what I'm trying to say. I have to change default app for each individual file type. For example, if want to change default media player I have to change it for each file type like .mkv and .mp4 individually and there are a lot of file types. Windows 10 had that option to change it for all at once. I could not find that option here in windows 11 Dev Preview Build 22000.100

@SaadKarim What about right-click on the file, and select Open With>>Choose another app?

davequail_0-1627810404466.png

@davequail 

Yes I know this, But I want to change default media player for all file types. .avi and .mkv etc. and i have to do it individually for each file type in default apps section of settings in windows 11. In windows 10 I would pick VLC as default media player in default apps section of settings and it would make VLC default for all file types .avi, .mkv, .mp4. etc. for all of them. In windows 11 I have to Pick default  media player for each file type individually .mkv individually, .mp4 individually, .avi individually and there are a lot of file types.

This feature of selecting default app for each file type individually has its uses like I can set Films and TV app default for .mkv files and VLC for .mp4 files. But I could not find any option to change default app for all file types. Can Microsoft add an option to pick default app for all file types?

@SaadKarim This is the closest I can find to what you want...type in a file type, and then select an App to associate it with. This way you can only do one File type and App at a time though.

davequail_0-1627814247807.png