SOLVED

Can't type anything. keyboard does not work. Build 19596 Even on-screen keyboard does Not work

MVP

Can't type anything. keyboard does not work. unplugging and plugging the keyboard again to different ports changes nothing. it's been happening since the last insider fast ring build and now it is 19596 and still happening. I typed this feedback by going to Windows Sandbox, typing there and then copy pasting that text to this feedback. I have attached problem repro to this feedback as well. this happens very randomly and intermittently. no matter what program or app I use. sometimes It happens when I use Firefox, or Edge or Word, now it happened when I was playing Microsoft Solitaire and I was chatting with my friend using Xbox Game bar (overlay). I really hope you find the required diagnostic data and solve this issue.

Even on-screen keyboard does Not work

When this problem happens, The only app that I can type in is the Xbox Beta app (Not Xbox console companion). I have tested 100 other programs and UWP apps and in none of them I can type in, except for Xbox Beta app. restarting my PC is the only way to fix this.

if you are experiencing this too, add your details to the feedback in feedback hub:

https://aka.ms/AA7fzby

7 Replies

@HotCakeX Does it clear up after a reboot?  Also is it possible that you may have opened the clipboard (Win+V), then closed it without pasting anything?  If so, you maybe hitting one of the bugs listed in the Known Issues list.

-Eddie

Yes reboot fixes the problem. umm Clipboard? sorry but not sure how it's related to this issue..
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX  There is a bug that if you open the clipboard (Win+V) and close it without pasting anything it will cause input to stop working.  I know it sounds strange, but it's there.  We are working on a fix for an upcoming build.  Appreciate your patience.

-Eddie

@Eddie Leonard 

@Eddie Leonard wrote:

@HotCakeX  There is a bug that if you open the clipboard (Win+V) and close it without pasting anything it will cause input to stop working.  I know it sounds strange, but it's there.  We are working on a fix for an upcoming build.  Appreciate your patience.

-Eddie

Omg wow, yes that was it! I couldn't find a pattern for it because I was doing multiple tasks at the same time.

now that the cause of the problem is known, could you please post an official answer for it or put it in the correct collection in feedback hub app?

Because I attached a couple of problem repros to it so I thought maybe the additional data can help fix the problem if the feedback is pointing to the correct known issue. unfortunately I can't edit my feedbacks

@HotCakeX Ok, I have added your feedback to our tracking parent.  Thanks!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

-Eddie

View solution in original post