SOLVED

Can't install 17730 build

Silver Contributor

Anyone else having problems updating from 17728 to 17730 Insider build (Fast ring)? It just gets stuck randomly on downloading or getting ready or gives various error codes at the end. Often i can't even restart, shutdown or open other apps. The system seems sluggish. I guess 17728 had some problems in it. It's a VirtualBox VM btw.

8 Replies
Same iaaue with me too. Its even worse for me, Windows Update installs the 17730 build, restarts the system without giving any errors. But when the system has restarted, it is still at build 17728.
Only thing that I noticed is that when it is configuring the new update, is jumps from 14% complete to 83% complete, unlike other builds.
Not sure what is going on.
Anybody can seriously help me to upgrade to 17730?
Same issue with me too. Its even worse for me, Windows Update installs the 17730 build, restarts the system without giving any errors. But when the system has restarted, it is still at build 17728.
Only thing that I noticed is that when it is configuring the new update, is jumps from 14% complete to 83% complete, unlike other builds.
Not sure what is going on.
Anybody can seriously help me to upgrade to 17730?

I have tried lots of times yesterday and then gave up. For me it was getting stuck say on Downloading 2%. Then after a restart it was going further, but then stopping at Getting ready 94%. After another restart it would go from 95 to 100 in an hour or so and then show a random error. Last time it was 0x80d0200d. I have tried to wipe SoftwareDistribution folder (which helped in the past), ran the WU troubleshooter. Gave more RAM to that VM. Nothing seems to help so far.

Surprisingly one action worked. I logged in as Administrator instead of the usual Windows Live login and lo! it worked. Build 17730 got installed BUT BUT more problems post the 17730 installation.

Microsoft Edge doesn't work - it just can't open any website (internet connectivity to the system is broadband and working fine as all other browsers like IE, Chrome, Firefox can open the same websites which Edge can't). Edge keeps saying "Can't reach that page ….".

Some social networking apps like LinkedIn, Facebook, Messenger which are downloaded from Microsoft Store also doesn't work.

Anybody knows how to get Edge and social networking apps to work?

Not sure how you managed to install it with local admin, because you sing in into Insider program with MS ID. If i try to login with local admin it shows me a button to Take control in Insider menu, but nothing happens if i click it. It also can't find Insider builds.

It can't even find 17730 anymore with my MS ID login now. Maybe they somehow retracted it, although they say nothing on a blog post.

17728 probably had some issues. I remember not being able to run some UWP apps even before trying to install 17730. Now it's the same. Nothing runs, everything seems so sluggish.

best response confirmed by wroot (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Fixed this by doing Reset PC (leaving files in place). Then i was able to link it again to Insider program and 17735 installed correctly. Though my virtual machine has to be restarted every few minutes, as apps lock up after a while. Can't use Start, launch Settings, etc.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by wroot (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Fixed this by doing Reset PC (leaving files in place). Then i was able to link it again to Insider program and 17735 installed correctly. Though my virtual machine has to be restarted every few minutes, as apps lock up after a while. Can't use Start, launch Settings, etc.

View solution in original post