Calendar events disappeared from taskbar in Windows 11 insider build

Iron Contributor

I am on the following windows build:

Edition Windows 11 Home Single Language
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎24/‎07/‎2021
OS build 22000.100
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 421.18901.0.3

In Windows 10, the taskbar calendar used to show events of the day. That has disappeared in Windows 11. Is there a way to enable this?

81 Replies

@kishorehari I have the same issue. Also the events added to the calendar app wont show in taskbar calendar. It just shows a calendar with no functionality whatsoever. You can click a date but can't add anything. Super frustrating, it's a function i use every day!

Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Build v22000.100
Windows Feature Experience Pack 421.18901.0.3

@ralph1988  There is a widget panel when you swipe from the left, there you can add the calendar widget but it became a downgrade.

- Clicking events opens up outlook calendar on the web instead of the app

- Calendars from other accounts aren't included, you'll have to import into your main account for it to be available in the customize widget options

tokgrumps_0-1627442023772.png

@tokgrumps Correct, but it feels silly to open the newsfeed with widgets to see my events. The taskbar calendar on the taskbar now has no function except telling you the time and date. It shows you the month and the date, and you can click on another day (a circle appears around that date) but you can't do anything with it. It is so frustrating i can't understand why they would do this other than force you to a (almost) useless calendar widget above the newsfeed. 

PLEASE fix this we should have the choice of not using the widget calendar. Redesign Windows 10 taskbar calendar to a Windows 11 version. 

I already have a Rainmeter skin that shows the date and time, so if that is all the Taskbar calendar will be good for from now on, I have no use for it. And I am not going to use the widgets thing until MS stops having every link force users onto Edge (so I will probably never use the widgets).

Yeah, I have the same issue. It's pretty bad considering I had to synch every account on my mail to get them all show up in my calendar but I can't see them in my taskbar now. This has to get fixed because people don't want to use calendar widget since it forces you to use Edge

@randyc12There is a tool called EdgeDeflector that reroutes Edge requests to your default browser. I was hoping with Windows 11 that MS would have given up on attempting to force Edge down everyone's throat... alas, they seem to have doubled down it. Anyway, EdgeDeflector is dead useful; Chrome and Firefox both have extensions for use with Cortana (Chrometana, Foxtana) that reroutes the queries to the search engine of your choosing, so if you want to do a quick web search you don't have to to use ███████ useless Bing.

The calendar issue is irritating, I'm not sure why selecting a date is even incorporated when it has no functionality other than drawing a circle around it. :xd: But hopefully this can be of some help.

Mojtabai

Well, I (finally) found the $!%# widget and it does have my calendar events intact. It's annoying to have to open the dang thing in a browser but it'll work okay. I was on a direct course to restoring Win10, but this is acceptable.

However, none of them alert me. I set up two test events and neither went off.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Okay, since setting up EdgeDeflector, now when I do a search in Yahoo I get this ...

"Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand."

Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks.

Edit: Confirmed. I changed it back to Microsoft-Edge from EdgeDeflector and searches in Yahoo work fine.

Just installed the official build, unfortunately no change. It's beyond my understanding why they'd remove one of the most obvious, basic features, like actually viewing your agenda/events in the calendar. It's completely useless now, and there's no reasonable way to restore that functionality. In Win 10 I was actually hoping they'd expand that functionality at some point, letting you customise the calendar more (e.g. changing the view to see the whole day/more events or events in the whole week/month). Instead they just removed it. What the hell Microsoft??
Together with the limited taskbar (no option to add Quick Launch or any other own links, no option to change the view to show all open folders / names), I'm seriously considering downgrading to Win 10 (which tbh was the best Win until now - seems they're back at the good-**bleep**-good trend).
I have found the best approach is to type"Calendar" in the search box, then select "Pin to Taskbar". You can then add/delete/browse the calendar. In effect, the only use for the calendar widget on the far right of the taskbar is to see the current date and time (and day of the week if you hover over it). Otherwise, it is useless!
Hi, just checking in to see if anyone has had an luck resolving this or coming up with a fix? I have my calendar app pinned but it's just not the same and seems EXTREMELY neglectful to add the most basic feature to the calendar on the task bar. It's not even "add" actually, it's just keeping it the same as it used to be, it makes no sense why they would REMOVE this function in the first place. I was really hoping that maybe there was just some setting option that I needed to enable because it seemed impossible that this function was actually removed...

Hi @kishorehari

Thanks for your post. 

I have the same issue and I'm a University student so all my events are on my Uni account which doesn't allow me to add my account to the outlook calendar widget (I will refrain myself from venting about the so called windows "widgets"). 

Anyway, I'm adding myself to this chain in the hope that when a solution is created someone will post about it.  

Thanks 

I hated what they did, so my workaround was to go into my emails, select the calendar there and when it opens up, look at your taskbar and you will see the calendar icon. Right click and pin it to the taskbar.

Hope this helps.

I have observed the best methodology is to type"Calendar" in the pursuit box, then, at that point, select "Pin to Taskbar". You would then be able to add/erase/peruse the schedule. In actuality, the main use for the schedule gadget on the most distant right of the taskbar is to see the current date and time (and day of the week on the off chance that you float over it). In any case, it is futile!

Hey ... just click on the taskbar on the calendar and then click on the arrow up.  Then your calendar will appear as a month all the time.

Yup, same here. Really a useless calendar now in the taskbar; the widget thing is not much better, rather leave widgets off. It is a pain going out to open outlook every time I need to use the calendar; why did Microsoft downgrade?
Hey ... just click on the taskbar on the calendar and then click on the arrow up. Then your calendar will appear as a month all the time.
Hi, can you provide screenshots, how it works for you? Your help is appriciated!

@zsoltadam   I can't do that.  I'm not a whiz at software, but not a novice either.  I have a Dell laptop. I just know that I clicked on the date link in the lower right hand corner.  There was an arrow on full date and time small window that popped up.  I clicked on it and the full calendar popped up.  Now I can't even go back to show only the day info.  Not sure why.  I just know it was easy as pie.  Sorry I couldn't help.