Best Microsoft Net Framework

Deleted
Not applicable

I have been using and enjoying Microsoft Net Framework 4.5.x for Windows 7 and find it to be the most stable on Windows 7 and Windows 8.x.  Microsoft Net Framework 4.6 was really buggy and crashed my Windows 7 system.  I had to go into safe mode to complete a system restore.  Microsoft Net Framework 4.7 was also buggy and crashed my dad's Windows 7 system.  I had to go into safe mode and do a system restore as well.  Why is Microsoft Net Framework being pushed as an important update and not as an optional update by Microsoft?  I have already been too busy trying to solve Meltdown and Spectre issues.  Please Microsoft push Microsoft Net Framework 4.6 and 4.7 as optional updates and not as important updates.  It confuses my client base and gives me even more work in fixing computers and networks while I am really super busy trying to tackle Meltdown and Spectre already.  Thank you very much.  The following is a Microsoft website so it should be allowed here as well.  https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2013/11/06/net-framework-setup-verification-tool-and-clean...

4 Replies
Note that by default, nothing in Windows system itself uses .NET framework. So even if there are bugs in .NET runtime, it's not loaded at all and it should not crash your computer. If you have applications and/or driver packages (Such as the control panel of ATI display cards), you'll need .NET framework and you'll want it be up-to-date so any vulnerabilities on the runtime will be fixed. Btw, I've had used and code .NET framework applications since the .NET v1.1 days (that's over 10 years now) and have not witness a single instance that computer hang is actually caused by .NET runtime itself. Application that uses .NET framework are user mode applications. And since Vista, user mode applications should not cause system hangs unless the coder uses P/Invoke or "unsafe" feature to do things natively with kernel objects and mess up. Most likely you'll want to alert vendors that write these applications to fix their bug.

Thank you so much for your reply.  I am not surprised that it is likely a vender bug in a 3rd party application like the AMD Graphics Control Options rather than a Microsoft bug itself.  This was problematic even back in the days of Windows 98 when defective Creative Sound-blaster bugs in the driver(s) would cause the whole system to BSOD and crash.  However, I am surprised that the Microsoft code in Windows 7 (and later perhaps) allows these lesser subsystems to have so much access that it can cause a full operating system crash that the only recovery is to roll back via safe mode through system restore to the prior build of an install of Microsoft Net Framework.  Thus if this is the correct scenario my thought still stands valid that new Microsoft Net Framework updates should be placed into the optional category or at the very highest recommended level of update and should not be considered a critical or an important update especially when the older version will continue to be supported for a while longer with security updates.

Partially agreed. However there are cases that I'd think this is justifiable. For example, if the system has .NET v4.5 RTM installed, I'd think it's valid to push as critical update because it contains a lazy static class initialization bug that affects any application that uses static string or so. The affected area was so large so I think it'd justify a forced update, or very likely your applications using it will crash.

I think it should be offered within applications that need it like AMD Catalyst needed a later version of Microsoft Net Framework before the current AMD Video Technology.  Thus, Microsoft Framework 4.x after 4.5 should be offered as optional and also included with software that needs it.  This would help to reduce the amount of troubleshooting in Windows 7 sp1, 8.x and in Windows 10 as well.  The Fall Creator's Update should not have been released as early as it was as well because it certainly is not ready for the business, government or military community.  Stability is first.  Remember, currently compromised ATMs run Windows XP so it is vulnerable.  The good ATM software is Windows 7 and thus Windows 7 is the gold standard for Microsoft.  ATMs will not be updated past Windows 7 until at least 2020.  This makes me wonder if Microsoft will put Windows 7 on a SaaS plan, match its deadline with Windows 8.x like 98, 98SE and ME all got the same end of life date or in fact end up doing both.