Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19608

MVP

"[UPDATE 4/17] We’ve released Cumulative Update Build 19608.1006 (KB4557426) that contains a single fix to improve overall reliability of the OS."

Hello Windows Insiders, today we’re releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19608 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.

Spoiler

Fixes

• We fixed an issue where Sticky Notes windows couldn’t be moved.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in language packs failing to install on the previous build. Anyone impacted by this may have noticed some parts of the UI weren’t displaying in your preferred language.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Task Manager showing an incorrect icon for Microsoft Edge Canary.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the Snip & Sketch App launching in the background instead of foreground (on top of all windows) when the app was invoked via pen click.
  • We fixed an issue where using the arrow keys in the taskbar volume flyout was unexpectedly backwards in Arabic, inconsistent from the direction it went in other slider controls.
  • We’ve done some work to improve the performance when loading the Windows Update history page.

Known issues

• We’re aware Narrator and NVDA users that seek the latest release of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium may experience some difficulty when navigating and reading certain web content. Narrator, NVDA and the Edge teams are aware of these issues. Users of legacy Microsoft Edge will not be affected. NVAccess has released a NVDA 2019.3 that resolves the known issue with Edge.
  • We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
  • The Documents and Downloads sections under Privacy show a broken icon next to their page name (just a rectangle).
  • We’re investigating reports that app icons in the taskbar are having rendering issues, including defaulting to the .exe icon.
  • We’re investigating reports that the battery icon on the lock screen always shows close to empty, regardless of actual battery levels.
  • We’re investigating reports of IIS configuration being set to default after taking a new build. You will need to back up your IIS configuration and restore it after the new build is installed successfully.
  • Quickly switching between WSL distros using the File Explorer integration could cause a transient access error. We’ve identified the cause of this issue and are releasing a fix soon.

Windows Insider Blog

6 Replies

I do like the changes made to Your Phone, but ouch on the IIS problems. I don't use IIS that much for development right now at home (typically I get by with IIS Express) but still... that's not a pleasant surprise. I hope they get that fixed soon. 

I am still seeing the VPN LDAP problem for LP2SEC btw. Not sure if there's anything else I can provide for details on it. I probably am starting to sound like a broken record since I keep bringing it up, but that problem has me worried since the place I work uses that particular type of VPN and I am worried that 20h1 may accidently cause problems for everyone while so many people are trying to work remote.

Your Phone changes? heh their deal with samsung ruined everything. not everyone has samsung flagships. there are Sony, LG, Motorola, Xiaomi, Huawei, Nokia, Asus, OnePlus, Mi. ZTE etc etc hundreds more and they only release them for samsung. this is really bad.. no file sharing or screen sharing for us. I don't like samsung and have no interest to buy their products, so that means I can't fully use Your Phone.
but it's intentional, they can just say the requirement for those features is to have Android 9 above but they lock it to samsung devices.

about IIS, well it's an insider build, can't really use it to run a stable web server

Agreed on the IIS thing. I do know devs who use it on their own boxes for testing... but like you said, it's an insider build, so expect anything to break.

Regarding your phone - I re-read the stipulations and I agree it is annoying that it's tied to Samsung. I have a Samsung phone right now, but I share your dislike of them. All of their updates have made their phones increasingly worse and more power-user unfriendly unless you uninstall all of their garbage using the Android SDK. And then after that, what do you really have left compared to a Pixel or some other less expensive device? Not much if you ask me.

Well, I guess I won't get too accustomed to the new stuff in "Your Phone". :\

Well tbh, it's neither like nor dislike, I just have no interest to buy their products when I already have a great phone from other brands with Android 10. Microsoft is making Your Phone app like an Apple product, for no reason forcing users to use only a specific device. it's surprising and saddening because Microsoft was always the one advocating openness, cross platform, compatibility and so on but now this...
Well, dislike or non interest, either way, I completely understand why you are not happy with it. There's really nothing "special" per-se about Samsung's phones other than high prices and bad software, if you ask me. It's otherwise just the same Android experience that you could get out of all the other brands.

I think the thing that bothers me the most about this little surprise and all their other recent choices regarding Android/IOs/Lack of Windows Mobile, is that it strikes me as yet another tactical mistake on MS' part in the Satya era.
I'm glad someone else thinks like that too! to me it looks like what he primarily cares about is online services provided by Microsoft such as Azure (all of its sub categories included), Microsoft 365 etc. but when it comes to Windows 10, software, specially locally installed software, apps etc, not so much care.

it was in his era that the Windows department experienced a tragic and strategic mistake which was scrapping all the test machines that Microsoft used to test Windows internally to ensure the final product is stable, (done on a lot of machines with lots of hardware variety), but instead we get insider program that, although it's great and everything and I love it because I can test new feature, every now and then causes problem with a specific type of hardware, old/new. because right now instead of real hardware, based on an ex-Microsoft employee, they are using virtual machines..

I wished Microsoft was run by a council rather than 1 single person at top of everything