Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19587

MVP

Hello Windows Insiders, today we’re releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19587 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.

Spoiler

General changes & improvements

• Based on feedback, when you have muted your volume, the volume will now not unmute when using the hardware keyboard volume keys until you raise the volume (or manually unmute).
  • We made a couple of improvements to Narrator and how it works with some of the controls in Windows:
    • Narrator now uses a more friendly string to describe the audio output in the Select playback device dropdown menu in the volume flyout.
    • Narrator now announces more information in the Add Bluetooth or other devices dialog in the Settings application when first opened.

Fixes

• We fixed an issue where the new icon next to Scan with Microsoft Defender in File Explorer’s context menu didn’t have a transparent background.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in Default Apps page in Settings crashing when you tried to change defaults.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in the search box being missing from certain apps.
  • We fixed an issue where some files couldn’t be opened in win32 apps from File Explorer when the path length to the file was very long and parts of the path included East Asian characters.
  • We fixed an issue where thumbnails weren’t being generated for pictures inside a Work Folder.
  • We fixed an issue where adding the Session column to the Users tab in Task Manager would result in not being able to expand the details for a particular user.

Known issues

• We’re blocking this build from ARM devices because of an issue causing them to receive a bugcheck.
  • BattlEye and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues due to changes in the operating system between some Insider Preview builds and certain versions of BattlEye anti-cheat software. To safeguard Insiders who might have these versions installed on their PC, we have applied a compatibility hold on these devices from being offered affected builds of Windows Insider Preview. See this article for details.
  • We are aware Narrator and NVDA users that seek the latest release of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium may experience some difficulty when navigating and reading certain web content. Narrator, NVDA and the Edge teams are aware of these issues. Users of legacy Microsoft Edge will not be affected. NVAccess has released a NVDA 2019.3 that resolves the known issue with Edge.
  • We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
  • Some devices may experience a bugcheck (GSOD) during the reboot to install this update. If this happens, log in, schedule a time for the update to install, and then log off all user profiles before the scheduled install time.  The install will then proceed as expected.
  • The Documents section under Privacy has a broken icon (just a rectangle).
  • When trying to use Win + PrtScn to capture a screenshot, the image is not saved to the Screenshots directory. For now, you’ll need to use one of the other options for taking screenshots, such as WIN + Shift + S.
  • We’re looking into reports where, when running corruption repair (DISM), the process will stop at 84.9%.
  • We’re investigating reports that Sticky Notes windows cannot be moved on the desktop. As a workaround, when you set focus to Sticky Notes, press Alt+Space. This will bring up a menu that contains a Move option. Select it, then you should be able to use either the arrow keys or the mouse to move the window.

More info at Windows Blog

21 Replies

@HotCakeX 

So this build has a new issue....

Notice: We had a problem with this update....run Fix issues

I run fix issues (select button).....it runs.

"We couldn't update the system reserved partition"

"This PC can't run windows 10"

Other than this being a business class laptop....it has been running the windows 10 insider program for years.

???

I got Build 19587 installed....this seems to be a continuation of the winre.wim issues that started with builds back in December.

@RedBeta 

@RedBeta wrote:
I got Build 19587 installed....this seems to be a continuation of the winre.wim issues that started with builds back in December.

does it have reproduce steps? more info?

@RedBeta 

@RedBeta wrote:

@HotCakeX 

So this build has a new issue....

Notice: We had a problem with this update....run Fix issues

I run fix issues (select button).....it runs.

"We couldn't update the system reserved partition"

"This PC can't run windows 10"

Other than this being a business class laptop....it has been running the windows 10 insider program for years.

???

do you get that error when downloading or during install? never seen it happen to me

@HotCakeX 

I had never seen it before either....it popped up during the beginning of the download.

I was one of the ones that had builds stuck at 62% at the beginning of the year. It was posted all over feedback hub.

I resolved the (stuck) issue after i found reagentc /info showed that winre.wim was disabled and in fact missing.

Since the machine is essentially static except for insider build installs / updates.....the source of the problem must have been an update in December.

I don't know if there is a new image that was larger or what....but my system/recovery partitions are over sized and there is unallocated space on Both Disks as well.

Oh, well since you're using insider builds and I am too, as my default everyday OS, I'm gonna suggest what I myself would do. just grab a copy of the original Windows 10 1909 from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

clean install it on your C drive, backup your data and move them to other drives, you know the drill. during install, format all your C partition, recovery partition, system partition and things like that. if there is empty space, add it to your C drive during the Windows 10 install process.

once you install it, fully update it from Windows update and only then join insider fast ring from Windows 10 settings and install it over it. I've done it a couple of times in the past year. takes roughly 3 hours the whole process for me (including installing Office365).

when things like this happen, i mean the corruption in system files and missing items, I don't bother, just clean install it. although they never happened to me as far as i remember, the reason why I clean installed my OS a couple times in the past year was my own mistakes and experiments I myself did. there might probably be better ways out there but this one seems to be the simplest and quickest for me.
hope that helps :)

@HotCakeX 

Actually this install is not that old....it takes me longer than 3 hours (as I still have not installed all my programs from the last time).

At least I have an error message to track down....the stuck at 62% had NO ERROR in any logs what so ever. The errors most often reported on the feedback hub is simply a built in timeout of the installer or the one caused by a shutdown when the installer is running.

For me it is not a big deal....but the issue started with a 20H1 build. Hopefully they have addressed this....since pushing out a build to people with partitions from upgraded (win8, win7) could be an issue. Expecting them to do a clean install won't work.

I find the feedback hub not very useful.....a couple of years ago a new build rushed through even though numerous reports of data loss on update. Sure enough the general release saw some data loss.

I have a winre.wim now installed in the recovery partition .... when I resolved the issue about not getting updates I only activated (pointed) to a winre.wim on the active partition which worked, but was not a full solution.

Feedback hub needs active moderation. it's a wild place. lots of useful feedbacks that are not paid attention to because they simply don't get "upvotes". lots of spam and useless feedbacks. lots of problems about each build of Windows insider that is experienced by only few people and not many, they are not paid attention to, then those issues make their way into release and stable build of Windows 10 and then we see real issues happening after Windows updates are installed on people's PCs.

lots of stuff not categorized properly and more problems.
I don't think that's the way to maintain such an important part of Windows 10 development.

as an example Steam community that has ~20 millions active users daily and more than 150-200 millions gamers ranging from 5 to 90 yrs old, is better maintained and moderated than Feedback hub app. they use volunteered moderators.

Microsoft should put more people as moderators in Feedback hub app or use volunteers to moderate it.

Just to note - this update (like the last 2-3) is wreaking havoc with certain WPF applications (Visual Studio being one of them) when it comes to mouse click detection

Also I noticed that ever since updating to it,  I seem to have problems with VPN connections (Rasphone or the Windows 10 wrapper). I tried doing all of the usual troubleshooting steps (rebuilding the VPN connection, refreshing my IP address, etc) but something is causing fatal errors when creating the TLS client credentials. This wasn't a problem with the previous build on the fast ring. I'm going to wait and see if the next update fixes this before trying anything else.

Edit: Disregard the note about VPNs, see my newer reply below. 

Hi, which VPN protocol do you use?
I use SSTP and PPTP, added them to the Windows 10 from settings rather than using .pbk file, it's working fine

@HotCakeX 

L2TP/IPsec; it's the Cisco Meraki VPN "client" (which I really do not like because it is very sensitive to Windows updates and does other weird things). Also, it tends to misbehave through the Windows 10 UI so I have to fall back on Rasphone. 

I'm currently running windows 10 insider preview build 19536 PreRelease 191211-1446.

I'm trying to upgrade to the latest release preview 19587

I'm able to start the process using the normal windows updates, the files download without issue & installation start. The install process gets to 62% completion & then stops...

It does not continues at all & even if you wait for hours, it does not work.

Any ideas ?

@Ian_Salgado 

You can try the following:

Command Prompt with Administrator privileges...

type reagentc /info

In my case Windows RE status:  was disabled / missing.

I had to find a copy (on the local hard disk) and then enable it....after that I was able to install new builds.

@RedBeta 

yep tried that already. It was enabled

issue still persist.

I even tried resetting the SoftwareDistribution folder (a couple of times) but no luck with that either

@HotCakeX

I stand corrected; the update didn't break anything. My VPN tunnel actually does work, but for whatever reason it isn't letting me RDP onto a machine unless I use the IP address.

I'm not going to worry about it though since I had this issue before in the past. I cannot remember what I did to get it so machine names are usable. I suspect that what I did was undone by the last fast ring update. I'm not really going to call this a problem anymore since I have had other settings get reset by the fast ring updates.

@StephenWhiteD3G 

Spoiler

@StephenWhiteD3G wrote:
@HotCakeX

I stand corrected; the update didn't break anything. My VPN tunnel actually does work, but for whatever reason it isn't letting me RDP onto a machine unless I use the IP address.

I'm not going to worry about it though since I had this issue before in the past. I cannot remember what I did to get it so machine names are usable. I suspect that what I did was undone by the last fast ring update. I'm not really going to call this a problem anymore since I have had other settings get reset by the fast ring updates.

Well hope you remember what you have to do to fix it soon :)

@Ian_Salgado 

Spoiler

@Ian_Salgado wrote:
I'm currently running windows 10 insider preview build 19536 PreRelease 191211-1446.

I'm trying to upgrade to the latest release preview 19587

I'm able to start the process using the normal windows updates, the files download without issue & installation start. The install process gets to 62% completion & then stops...

It does not continues at all & even if you wait for hours, it does not work.

Any ideas ?

All i can think of right now is that you're probably experiencing this know issue..

"We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build."

@StephenWhiteD3G 

I had no mentioned it...but build 19587 is requiring me to use IP address vs name for several things.

I use WSD so the network file servers show up under "network" just fine....but I can't get to them by clicking on them (need to use IP). I have the same for RDP.....need to use IP.

I did go through and check name resolution and it is working fine from a command prompt...my understanding is that name resolution and connecting are not hard linked, so it is possible for resolution to be ignored during connection.

In my case there was nothing done on the windows machine for WSD.....those changes where all done on the server and automagically worked on windows.

@Ian_Salgado 

This is what I did to get past the 62% after months of broken updates...

In order to locate the Winre.wim file, you can search the file on your computer. From an elevated Command Prompt, type the following command to search for the Winre.wim file on C: drive:

dir /a /s c:\winre.wim

When you find the Winre.wim file and it is vaild, you can type command “reagentc /setreimage /path [path of Winre.wim]”. For example, “Reagentc /setreimage /path C:\Recovery\WindowsRE”

Then reboot enough to get WU to restart the download / install of the new build.

I have no proof...but I believe that the winre.wim on the recovery partition was corrupted by a past build. I tried many things during Jan and Feb to get the builds to install....and this is the only thing that worked.