accidently installed win 11 pro instead of win 11 home

Copper Contributor

i recently updated my windows version via the insider program and i accidently installed windows 11 pro instead of win 11 home so now i cant activate it

7 Replies
generally speaking you can can only uplift the versions get from home to pro or pro to enterprise - you could try changing the product key to the generic windows 11 product key

Windows 11 Home YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7

https://winaero.com/windows-11-generic-keys-for-all-editions/ provides information on changing the keys.

If this does not work then you may have to clean install windows 11 home

@SteveMacNZ 

wheres the best place to download the iso. everywhere ive tried so far automatically detects  my settings an starts trying to reinstall 11 pro

You will have to perform a clean installation on this.

@chrisb0918 

Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com) using the Media creation tool - also as little_Joe advised also ensure you do a clean install. 

It might pay to also do a clean disk before reinstalling the OS as well - to do this boot off the USB Media / ISO image at the language selection screen press shift + F10 which will open the command prompt

run diskpart and select the disk followed by clean - which will remove all the partitions and disk structure ensuring a clean starting point - close the command prompt and continue with the install ensuring you select the correct version :)

cool thanks fellas appreciate the help