Windows 10 Enterprise E3 CSP - per user / per device

Brass Contributor

Hi, hoping someone here can confirm / answer a few points for me.

Currently have Windows 10 E3 per device which was on a 3 year agreement which expires soon.

Want more flexibility going forward as slowly going to move over to Microsoft 365, so this time round don't want to be locked into a 3 year or even 1 year term

So if we go for Windows 10 Enterprise E3 CSP what  are the requirements, as some Microsoft sites and some sales people seem to be giving me conflicting information

I have been told my existing computers need to already be running Windows 10 OEM to be able to go to Windows 10 Enterprise E3 CSP per user? but some site seem to state as long as devices running Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 Professional it is okay?

Is Windows 10 Enterprise E3 CSP a month to month contract or am I tied in again for a year or more term? as I want to be able to chop and change licenses as I go, so as I move more people over to Microsoft 365 I can then reduce the number of Enterprise E3 licenses I buy

Hope someone can help, as thought I had it in my mind, but sales people just clouding it now for me

3 Replies

@Darren Rose - I reached out to the licensing team with your questions. Here's the information they offered:

1. CSP agreements are 1-year terms.
  2. Windows Enterprise E3 subscriptions through CSP do require each device to first be running Windows 10 Pro.
  3. However, Windows Enterprise E3 subscriptions through CSP include a free upgrade entitlement from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. So, you can use that upgrade benefit and from there activate Windows 10 Enterprise on top of Windows 10 Pro.

On a side note, thanks for asking this question! I know you aren't the only one who wonders about this and it's great to have clarification.

@Heather Poulsen Many thanks for that information - much appreciated

@Darren Rose - is there any website or documentation re the "free upgrade entitlement from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro", as can't find anything to prove this point on MS website?