Windows 10 1703 - Default App Association for Migrated Users (USMT)

Copper Contributor

Has anybody had issues deploying 1703 with USMT and deploying default file associations. What we are trying to achive, is to deploy IE as the default browser, this works for new users who login, however migrated user profiles still have edge as the default.

have tried the new method of use the (clip from xml):
<Association Identifier="https" ProgId="IE.HTTPS" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" ApplyOnUpgrade="true" OverwriteIfProgIdIs="AppXz8ws88f5y0y5nyrw1b3pj7xtm779tj2t" />

but it looks to be an issue with USMT and default file associations.

Anyone experienced this issue before and got a fix for it? We are not keen on applying the GPO to force the file associations.

4 Replies

Hi Dale.

Did you resolve this issue. I am experiencing the same problem, wondering if maybe there is a way to exclude file associations from USMT capture

thanks

Hi Mo,

I ended up getting a response from MS.

1. Log on one Windows 1703 client.
  2. Run regedit.exe, locate key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FileAssociations\UpgradeChoice (if the key does not exist, create one with the name.)
  3. Create a DWORD value named AppUpgradeVersion, set it to 2.
  4. Migrate a user to this client.

I still had issues with associating PDFs with Adobe Reader, but MS came back and said that it was an adobe issue.

Hi Dale 

Thank you for the tip it worked!!

BTW Im doing all this on the 1709 version.

I applied the reg key in the re-image task sequence, and user data is restored during the task sequence. When the user logs in file associations are all OK.

I did notice if a re-image is done on the same PC again, and if user data is captured then restored, the file associations break again.

If the key you mentioned exists on the PC before a user logs in, then the same key then gets created under

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FileAssociations\UpgradeChoice

This causes the file associations to break on a capture and restore.

If i delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FileAssociations\UpgradeChoice before the capture then its works again.

Did Microsoft explain why this is required? As you mentioned before trying this the ApplyOnUpgrade and OverwriteIfProgIdIs didnt help either.

I also noticed on a 1709 Pro version, non Domain joined PC the HKLM and HKCU keys already exist.

Thanks again for all your help

Mo