WDS Strangeness - Error 0xc0000023 and Server IP: 0.0.0.0

Brass Contributor

Hi community,

we have  the following infrastructure. WDS Server for UEFI and one for BIOS Images. Both have MDT 6.3.8443.1000 and ADK 10.1.15063.0 installed.

The BIOS WDS Server works just fine. The UEFI one however does not seems to respond correctly, but I do not really understand what is happening here.

image.png

This is what I see after the TFTP Download succeeded. This much I was able to check in the wireshark dump. But after that there seems to be no further communication between the host that I want to deploy and the WDS server. The WDS Event Viewer logs show that the appropriate TFTP File was successfully downloaded and then everything stops and the above screen is shown.

This is the last log:

The Following Client completed TFTP Download:

Client IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Filename: Boot\\x64\\wdsmgfw.efi
File Size: 1029536
Client Port: 1191
Server Port: 61459
Variable Window: false

I am lost atm as to where even look for the error. Do you have any ideas how to proceed?

Thank you.

Christian

Update:

While trying to further debug the issue I hit another problem that the event viewer config does not work as expected, as it only shows the log messages from 3 hours before, but not the current ones:

<maybe there is also someone with enough wisdom here to enlighten me>

image.png

5 Replies
Hi
First of all you don't need 2 wds servers. I expect you are configuring DHCP options to point to each. Remove DHCP options and add an IP helper on the switch to look t to one server and bios or uefi will be selected on capabilities of system being booted.

Additionally if you're really must use 2 wds servers make sure you have both x86 and x64 boot images on wds server otherwise even x64 won't work with x86 components there.

Chris

> First of all you don't need 2 wds servers. I expect you are configuring DHCP options to point to each.

Which we do and it used to work.

> Remove DHCP options and add an IP helper on the switch to look t to one server and bios or uefi will be selected on capabilities of system being booted.

This I can not do in our infrastructure. Network is not under my control and network will not allow changes to the network if we can not show that it is absolutely necessary. In this case it is not, because this used to work and it stopped working a couple of days ago, I am still hunting for the reason.

> Additionally if you're really must use 2 wds servers make sure you have both x86 and x64 boot images on wds server otherwise even x64 won't work with x86 components there.

This part sounds interesting, but I do not understand it. Could you please amplify.

Thank you Chris.

Kind regards.

Christian

@Christian Bernardt 

Did you ever find a solution to this? I know it's been years....but I am just now running into this problem myself. Here is the situation.

I use WDS to deploy Windows 10 images over 3 different subnets. All 3 used to work just fine regardless of BIOS or UEFI. Now, 2 out of 3 subnets work with both normally, but one of the subnets only works using BIOS, UEFI booting gives the same error that you were experiencing. I asked our Network Admins if any changes had been made and they claim nothing changed. I didn't touch the WDS server during the time it worked and stopped working, so I'm at a point where I just can't get by this error when trying to PxE boot using UEFI. I can't even find 1 solution online for this either...

If you figured out the problem, I'd appreciate it if you could share what you did to resolve it. Thanks.

@Zephyrius  Your problem is solved? I have the same....

Hi,
first of I want to apologize that I never replied with a solution to my own thread, I hate such people who just ask, but never give back. Now I am one of them.

In our case it was about DNS options if I remember correctly. I am very sorry I can not be of great help, because this was such a long time ago. I think it came down to two major problems. We had a spelling problem in the DNS options, we used a none microsoft DNS, I believe Nokia or something like this. I searched around a bit and I think option 60 was our problem,see below. The Arch values on the server were important as well. And last but not least the firmware of the network.interfaces and docking stations. Especially with Microsoft Docking Stations for Surface Books it was a.desaster. There are different generations of the docking stations each working under different conditions, with or without firmware update. Also almost every DELL we got had some different network card gen.

Again I know, this is no real help that I give here, but sometimes pointing in the direction helps as well, however unspecific it might be.

And one more advice, do not waste your precious support hours of your microsoft contract if you have one. They were a complete waste of time. I think what I did at the time for debugging,.I created VMs one for UEFI and one for legacy boot and hooked up Wireshark to follow how far communication between client and server got, that helped a lot in solving the issue. Also ask your network guys, the can mirror traffic, this way you can Wireshark your physical machine while you try UEFI PXE one of your machines.

But I think I was too stupid, because it took me a month or more with maybe 30 hours Microsoft Support wasted, really no help from there, a shrug of shoulder by two Microsoft MVPs or however they name themselves.

One more advice, your network people say they have not changed anything. Never trust that, backup your network settings yourself and double check, at the time I had subnet config privileges to play around with different network options. I more than once observed that one of my settings was not there the next day.

I found this in a quick search and this looks, from memory, what we had at the time.

Serveroptionen für Bios und UEFI sind folgend gesetzt.

64bit UEFI
Display Name = PXEClient (UEFI x64)
Description = PXE:Arch:00007
ASCII = PXE:Arch:00007
32bit UEFI
Display Name = PXEClient (UEFI x86)
Description = PXE:Arch:00006
ASCII = PXE:Arch:00006

Legacy BIOS
Display Name = PXEClient (BIOS x86 & x64)
Description = PXE:Arch:00000
ASCII = PXE:Arch:00000
Danach folgend die entprechenden Bootfiles angegeben wie folgt:

Option 60: PXEClient

Option 66: Name des Servers eben oder die IP

Option 67: Pfadangabe zum File (Beispiel: smsboot\x64\wdsmgfw.efi)