SOLVED

Upgrading from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro

Copper Contributor

I have a friend whose wife was given a laptop by her company once she left there. It was wiped so no company data on it but does have Windows 7 Enterprise installed.

My friend uses the laptop for his business and needs an application that requires Windows 10 and so has asked me to help him upgrade.

I tried the download tool from Microsoft's website to upgrade but it said that it was not possible due to the laptop running Windows 7 Enterprise.

I sent all this in an e-mail to Microsoft Volume Licensing Services Support Center and got told it was not  possible to upgrade directly from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise, that the upgrade would first have to be to Windows 10 Pro. I said Windows 10 Pro would be fine, my friend doesn't need Windows 10 Enterprise and asked how to do it and got redirected to here.

I do work in IT so have some knowledge.

Can someone please tell me how to upgrade from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro. My friend is happy to pay for a licence for Windows 10 Home or Pro if that is what ends up needing to be done.

6 Replies
Thank you very much for this, I will try it out.
Let us know if it worked out for you

Did this fix it?

I checked further and my friend's computer is 13 years old, has an i3 processor, a HDD and only 4GB RAM, so I've told him that it would be better to buy a new computer as something could fail at any time.
Yes, it's definitely time for a new one :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:
1 best response