Updating 1809 to 1909 results in 1903 being installed

Silver Contributor

Have noticed odd behavior updating our base images used for VMware Horizon. Updating from 1809 to 1909 using Windows Update (no WSUS, directly to WU). It shows 1909 as available. I press Download and install. It shows that 1909 is being installed. But in the end it is 1903 after the update and i have to go through update again to actually update it to 1909. And even if it is 1903 it is not providing Enablement package update and installs full update instead. Not sure if this is because of something on our images or what.

2 Replies

@wroot wrote:

But in the end it is 1903 after the update and i have to go through update again to actually update it to 1909. And even if it is 1903 it is not providing Enablement package update and installs full update instead. 

Hello @wroot,

Just to confirm, when you tried it updating second time, was it updated successfully to 1909?

Also, when it was on 1903, did you installed the latest updates available till date?

Regards. 

Originally it was on 1809. We have Windows Update service disabled and update it every few months. So last time it received updates 2-3 months ago. So i have enabled Windows Update service, went to Update & Security. It was showing a message that 1909 is available. I clicked Download and Install link there and it started prepping and installing 1909. After a restart i checked with winver and it was showing 1903. So i went again to Update & Security and it was showing 1909 feature update and a few cumulative and .NET updates for 1903. It started installing all of them. After restart it was 1909 version finally and after checking for updates it has installed two latest January updates for 1909.