SOLVED

Understanding deployment and upgrade logs

Copper Contributor

Can someone help me find the resources to really understand  Windows upgrade logs? What I find on Technet starts off pretty good, with an explanation of error codes and "some" resolution procedures , but in the end it's not detailed enough to do error-digging. 

I am looking for an error code like

----------------------------------

0x80070005-0x5000F

0x8 is a Win32 error

7 is the device

0005 is Access denied 

----

0x5  is SP_EXECUTION_UNINSTALL

0F is SP_EXECUTION_OP_ADD_UNATTEND

Especially that last part: what is it about? And what are these procedures below trying to access? Boot sector?

---------------------------------

2019-01-03 09:24:21, Error                 SP     CSetupPlatform::SuspendAndRelease: Error creating the Setup Platform key. Error: 0x80070005

2 Replies
best response confirmed by pfschel (Copper Contributor)
Solution

SetupDiag can be helpful parsing the upgrade log files. Sometimes there are multiple errors. As for this specific error I would guess a weird disk layout, or having rerouted users or program files to a different disk and/or partition.

/ Johan

I think you could be right with the disk layout. I had three partitions on the old SSD, two legacy from the old system.  Setupdiag I tried before, but it gave no usable information

However, I got tired of trying, so I did a clean install of windows, and applied some of the backed up stuff I had. Only few things I had to rebuild.  Everything is working again, flawless. 

thanks for the reply anyway.

note to self : create new backup 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by pfschel (Copper Contributor)
Solution

SetupDiag can be helpful parsing the upgrade log files. Sometimes there are multiple errors. As for this specific error I would guess a weird disk layout, or having rerouted users or program files to a different disk and/or partition.

/ Johan

View solution in original post