Change from local KMS to M365 E3 Windows activation fails

Copper Contributor

In the past we used a local KMS server for our Windows 10 1803 Enterprise installations. Now we have M365 E3 subscribtions and moved the laptops to AAD. If I do a slmgr /xpr it Always shows an end date of the License. I did slmgr /ipk NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43 and a logoff/logon with username and Password but still get an error like the KMS server of your organisation is not found... 

What can I do to motivate Windows to go to M365 to validate the License? Thanks

5 Replies

Did you manage to work this out, I am seeing devices that are running enterprise 1803 with a KMS key and when a Windows 10 Enterprise user with a licence logs in it does not convert to M365 licence it just shows error that it can not contact KMS server (Road warrior user that has not access to internal network). 

Hi 

Sorry no solution yet, we are still working with Microsoft to fix it. We have issues with Lenovo Thinkpads if they have no Windows Key in BIOS.

Regards, Marcel

Looks like you were having a similar issue to us but with a little more complication, turns out the device needs to have an activated license to apply the Windows 10 Enterprise subscription license.  Fortunately for us the devices all have bios level licenses so I just wrote a quick powershell script that rips out the un-activated KMS license and pulls the one from the BIOS, adds it and activates it.

Hi @Marcel100 

have you had a response yet. I too have a project that involves your steps and was wondering how you were going about it. Windows 10 1703 KMS Enterprise moving to M365 E5. 

The process I was thinking was to; 

1. remove KMS key

2. interrogate bios for Pro Key

3. install and activate Pro Key

4. following https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/deploy-enterprise-licenses to activate enterprise.

The script below hopefully  will perform 1-3 

@echo off
echo Remove KMS Key
slmgr.vbs /upk
FOR /F "skip=1" %%A IN ('wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey') DO (
SET "ProductKey=%%A"
goto InstallKey
)
:InstallKey
IF [%ProductKey%]==[] (
echo No key present
) ELSE (
echo Installing %ProductKey%
changepk.exe /ProductKey %ProductKey%
)

slmgr.vbs /ato

not sure if this helps you.

@keifr 

I ended up opening a ticket with our CSP and Microsoft escalated it.  They had to re-apply licensing in our tenant.  Once they completed that, everything worked as expect, so it was resolved.  I wanted to leave this here for anybody that might find it in the future.

Open a MS ticket, it took them about a week of back and forth and then resolving it for me.