Autopilot or not...

Brass Contributor
We have 150 laptops in use: why should I import these laptops in autopilot instead of sysprep these laptops with an image? Or is autopilot ONLY for brand new devices (and hand them over to the user)?
3 Replies

Autopilot is specifically designed for new devices. For 365 users, it is a better option(in my opinion) to use it than sysprep. Autopilot is designed specifically for Windows 10 and newer operating systems. It makes it easier to overlook deployment of newer Windows 10 devices. It allows you to set up the computer in the "cloud" And when the user turns on the computer, and logs in, those settings you created automatically apply. Based on design, I think you could try to import your devices. But I am unsure of how that would work.

Thanks Drew for the answer. We are O365 users. The advance of existing devices is using sysprep and then hand over the device to the user. If we want to use the self-enrollment option, we must first register these devices in Intune with the autopilot powershell script. Or is their another way?...

If I understand correctly, you are trying to find a way to import devices into self-enrollment or [FasTrack]? If so, I believe Intune is the only way to do it. Configuration Manager may also work, but I am still learning about that system.

I hope this helps, maybe my research missed something, but these are my notes on modern management, other than Intune and possibly Configuration manager, I don't think there is another way.

(These notes are from a Microsoft Mechanic conference)